How to compile an executable

How do I compile a standalone executable? I just want to run a program from the console/terminal without using iex.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=how+to+compile+an+elixir+executable there you go! :smiley:

thanks that site is really good

:slight_smile:

Please do not use URL-shorteners.

I do know about companies as well as universities blocking such services for security reasons. For my university the only shortener allowed is twitters t.co (which is used somewhat automagically when tweeting).

Also I do know about some services that pay the guy who shortened an URL by showing ads on a redirection page, while neither the one who follows a link nor the guy who write the original article get their share.

For exactly this reason I deny to click any URL that seems to be shortened.

I have taken the liberty to expand the URL.

But to provide a more direct answer:

• You can use escript which comes with Elixir (mix has a built-in task to do this) to build a standalone archive. This kind of standalone will run on any computer, as long as it has (a recent version of) Erlang installed.
  • You can use systems like exrm relx or edeliver(which might be easier to use, and uses either exrm or relx underwater) to create a so-called release, which can then be put somewhere as a completely standalone executable, as it includes the current version of Erlang and Elixir. The nice thing about this is that you can later create new versions, and use hot-code swapping on your already-running application with them.