How to deal with the lack of jobs for learning Elixir

If you’re interested in learning, we’re up in Berlin but we do have an open Elixir internship here at diode.io. Shoot me a pm if curious.

Things change … slowly :sweat_smile:

I run a team of 4 people working almost only with Elixir, Phoenix and Nerves in Nantes.
I’ll let you know if a new position opens.

I also used to live and work in Paris, and I think it’s still a good idea to move there when you are young:

• it’s quite easy to find a job, and you’re more likely to find one which is technically challenging. The ability to change quickly and try different positions is also a big plus!

• from a personal perspective, if you live IN Paris (and not in surroundings), it’s quite a nice city to enjoy with a lot of things to do (if you have a good fullstack dev salary :wink: )

I’m pretty sure that if I hadn’t lived and worked first ten years in Paris, I wouldn’t have such a good position in Nantes now (but who really knows? :roll_eyes:

Good luck!

5 Likes

Hi,

If you are interested by FP, you could also learn OCAML, it might have more jobs in France for OCAML since OCAML is french. If Reasonml becomes more important, it could also be more interesting to know OCAML. It’s important to know several programming languages and to know how to compare them.
If you want to be sure to find a job where you live, my advice is to learn the most popular FP libraries in JS.
And for Elixir, Phoenix LiveView might a great investment to know and to learn for the future.
Programming languages are important but it is also very important to know a specific domain (Web, Finance, Machine learning …) For example there are a lot of jobs for Python, but I if you don’t master a domain like machine learning, stats, data analysis … it will be difficult to find a job with Python.
Bon courage dans tes recherches.

1 Like

I would have very much enjoyed to have an internship in Germany, but this year it will be complicated.
But, in Germany you can have internship without being a student ? in France it’s impossible, we need a “convention de stage” and it’s for student only

For a career perspective I have no doubt about it :smile: Paris seem great ! for living I need to think about it, maybe I had some stereotype against this city, but we need to admit that this city is very expensive (for rent an apartment) and driving in Paris is almost impossible (parking are expensive, a lot of cars etc.) it’s mandatory to take underground or bus…
But indeed I like the fact that this city is very dynamic and there is a lot of good bakery and good gastronomic restaurants

I add it on my to do list ! I know that some of my past classmates learn OCAML (there are in Master Degree now), this language seem popular in University and Engineering School.

Yes, I noticed for Python, a lot of job around it are on scientific fields, perhaps in the future I will follow a maths curriculum on remote (bachelor to begin, in a Parisian university…)

thank you for your encouragements

just don’t drive in Paris and everything will be easier :slight_smile: (you really not have to, there are a lot of transportation facilities in Paris : metro, bikes, bus …)

2 Likes

I don’t think it hurts, especially if your focus is web dev. A lot of people have ported ideas from the Laravel community to Phoenix (and even back, in the case of Livewire!)

At the end of the day, a lot of tech skills transfer from one stack to another.

2 Likes

Most countries don’t have any administration hurdles like France for hiring interns. And even then, an “internship” is basically a full time job with lowered pay. Any company would be willing to take you for the cheaper labor.

2 Likes