How to install an umbrella to a VPS

Hello dear alchemists,

There was this question some days ago here about the deployment to a VPS.

As I was in the process of deploying to a VPS. I thought it would be nice to share, so I build a small demo repo and described the process.

I hope You will find it useful.

7 Likes

Timing is perfect. thanks @kokolegorille

1 Like

Maybe you’d like to add a paragraph about security? If you don’t want to dive into it too much, you could acknowledge that this is purely an instruction for getting an application running, not a complete manual on how to provision a production server for an Elixir application.

3 Likes

I will, thanks for the advice. It is for the moment just a default installation, in particular, I will add https and wss support later when done.

All suggestions are welcomed.

2 Likes

I was more thinking about removing unnecessary packages, setting up security updates, limiting user logins, etc :slight_smile:

3 Likes

A paragraph about deploy automatization with tools like edeliver will also be appreciated.

2 Likes

@kokolegorille that tutorial is really perfect for beginners as me. You detailed every step clearly.

I have a queston about building machine. What is benefits of building releases in another machine? Cant i just do that in development machine ?

It is completely possible to use the same machine for build and production.

I am using two because it highlights the fact that the production server does not need any building tools to make it run. It does not even need to have Erlang and Elixir.

Using edeliver automates the process I made manually, in fact, it will take care of copying, installing, building the project for You.

build and production, but not same build and development machine for releases right? I havent deployed any app yet. So i dont know about releases

I am working on a Mac but deploy to Linux… probably like many of us.

I am using linux for development. So i can build releases on development machine and i can directly upload tar file to production server?

Linux to linux here, no nasty jailed ecosystems. ^.^

2 Likes

If You have all Linux, You can build on dev and push to prod directly.

2 Likes

I am using linux for development. So i can build releases on development machine and i can directly upload tar file to production server?

If your local distribution is the same as your remote distribution, then yes. Otherwise, there might be problems. I tried deploying releases built in alpine to ubuntu and debian and they failed to start.

2 Likes