Huge ecommerce backend migration - is Phoenix the right choice?

Best of luck with CrimsonCommerce! I’ve done a custom ecommerce fashion site using PHP and PostgreSQL and have researched moving it to an open source platform. I’ve been waiting for something viable to come along in Elixir/Phoenix.

I understand this project is probably in its infancy, but do you have any target time frame(s) for dev/production builds?

Also, what was your primary motivation in starting this project?

Phoenix is fantastic and I’m much happier with it than I am with rails or node. But, there’s a steep learning curve and the framework is young and being actively developed. So, before jumping in you should ask yourself if your team has the chops to be successful in this environment.

I also really like the choice of react for Phoenix 1.4 so I’d really think about using react instead of view.

But, the thing I can’t stress enough is managing the risk of a new framework. How is your team going to react? How are the people who get stuck maintaining the legacy app going to feel? Will they get to play with the new shiny or is it going to be a case where your team breaks into the cool kids and the legacy kids? Those are the thing that’s going to kill your migration, not the technology you choose.

I’d give people a chance to play with different frameworks and see if Phoenix is the winner. Maybe do a hackathon and let people present their choice. If you can get buy in for Phoenix and people emotionally invested in having it succeed, it will be a great framework for you.

2 Likes