Installing Elixir on Raspberry PI1 (ARMv6)

I tried installing Elixir on an old Raspberry Pi 1 model B (ARMv6 core) that I recently installed with Buster. I started out using the instructions given at Installing Elixir - The Elixir programming language for Raspberry PI. However I got a bunch of errors relating to dependencies and mentioning various Erlang packages. I tried installing Erlang independently (using apt) and got more errors - relating to package ca-certificates-java and saying that this package is not supported on ARMv6 core (sorry, can’t post original error message as I spent ages using apt purge to remove the packages). I looked on Downloads - Erlang Solutions for pre-compiled packages for Raspbian - but the .deb files listed here are all compiled for armhf version of debian which doesn’t support ARMv6.
Did anybody try (recently) installing Elixir or Erlang on a Pi1? How did you get on?

I tried again on a PI3 (also buster) but got similar issues. To my command sudo apt install elixir it responded with the following:

Reading package lists… Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information… Done
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
elixir : Depends: erlang-base (>= 1:23.1) but 1:21.2.6+dfsg-1 is to be installed or
erlang-base-hipe (>= 1:23.1) or
esl-erlang (>= 1:23.1) but it is not going to be installed
Depends: erlang-crypto (>= 1:23.1) or
Depends: erlang-inets (>= 1:23.1) or
Depends: erlang-ssl (>= 1:23.1) or
Depends: erlang-syntax-tools (>= 1:23.1) or
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.

give asdf a try https://asdf-vm.com/ - note that it will compile erlang, and take some time on a raspberry… also use asdf for elixir… in fact use it for everything python, nodejs etc :wink:

I tried on my PI3 and had same issues. Finally found a solution that worked for me at apt - Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages - Ask Ubuntu :

sudo aptitude -f install elixir

When it finds the broken dependency, it gives three options how to respond: Y/n/q

Y accepts the existing situation (i.e. broken packages) so you’re no further forward, N looks for another solution, and Q quits.

I selected N, and it gave me the option to install an earlier version of elixir (1.10.2-1). Then at the next prompt select Y and elixir finishes installing with no further errors.

1 Like

I am also facing this problem, I can’t install Elixir in Raspbian.

Do you need it to run on raspbian?
If not have a look at: Getting Started — nerves v1.7.8

Indeed: I ended up compiling it via asdf and that worked perfectly.

Took ages though… This Raspi 1 B+ is getting very, very old :))

1 Like