Intended use of LiveView.send_update/2

Is send_update capable of sending messages between separate live view instances, or only between child components of parent live view? The docs are a bit ambiguous on this point, and I can’t seem to get it working for the former use case.

The docs say:

Asynchronously updates a component with new assigns.

So, it appears related to LiveComponent and not other LiveViews. And looking at the code bears that out (since it is sending a message to self()). But I do think that the docs could be a bit more explicit about it, and specifically that it only affects LiveComponents within the current LiveView.

1 Like

You can use Phoenix PubSub to send updates to other processes, at least is what I am doing, but I am a beginner in Elixir and Live View.

From the docs:

iex> alias Phoenix.PubSub

iex> PubSub.subscribe :my_pubsub, "user:123"
:ok

iex> Process.info(self(), :messages)
{:messages, []}

iex> PubSub.broadcast :my_pubsub, "user:123", {:user_update, %{id: 123, name: "Shane"}}
:ok

iex> Process.info(self(), :messages)
{:messages, [{:user_update, %{id: 123, name: "Shane"}}]}

Good catch! A PR would be very appreciated too! If you would prefer us to do it, then let me know and I can totally do it, I don’t want to steal your thunder. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

I’ll gladly take a stab at it :+1:

Indeed the PubSub included in Phoenix itself was basically a drop in solution. It was trivial to get it working in the desired way.

In the ‘helper’ component (a search form):

def handle_event("search", %{"query" => query}, socket) do
    Phoenix.PubSub.broadcast(MyApp.PubSub, "main-component", {:search, query})

{:noreply, socket}
  end

In “main component” (a list I want to filter):

def mount(_params, _session, socket) do

if connected?(socket) do
      Phoenix.PubSub.subscribe(MyApp.PubSub, "main-component")
    end

{:ok, socket}
  end

def handle_info({:search, query},  socket) do
    socket = socket
    |> assign(:search, query)

{:noreply, socket}
  end

And bam, main component knows about this state. Very impressive!

In case anyone tries to use this pattern, I should point out that the string “main-component” is global to the entire application, so be sure to append whatever info necessary to make it as unique as intended.

2 Likes

FYI, this resulted in a PR to update the docs for Phoenix.LiveView.send_update/2 that has been merged:

1 Like