ElixirLS - the Elixir Language Server

Hi everyone! Long time no see!

If you’ve been using ElixirLS, you may have noticed that I haven’t really maintained it in a year or so. All my work for a while has been on hardware that doesn’t run Elixir, mainly 2x4s and drywall, and I told myself ElixirLS was on the backburner because I didn’t want to think of it as “abandoned”. But after a year of neglect, I’m ready to admit that I’m not going to be working on it in the near future.

I have excellent news though: While I’ve been away, a few proactive volunteers from the Elixir community started a fork and have put major work into actively maintaining it. I had long since routed my Github notifications somewhere they wouldn’t bother me, so I didn’t really realize how much work they’d been doing in my absence, and @axelson, @lukaszsamson, and other contributors have my gratitude and respect.

I’m retiring my Github repo in favor of theirs over at elixir-lsp/elixir-ls. They’ll continue publishing to the original VS Code extension, so if you’re using the original ElixirLS for VS Code, you can keep using it. If you’ve been using their fork, you can switch back to the original extension. Any issues or PRs should happen on the new repo. Starting an open-source project is more fun than maintaining one, so if you file an issue over on that repo, make sure to say thanks for their hard work.

I do hope to go back to coding Elixir at some point once my house has walls and toilets and everything. In the meantime, I’m happy the project is in good hands. Thanks for using ElixirLS!

46 Likes