Is Introducing Elixir: Getting Started in Functional Programming still good?

Read it an enjoy it. If there are things which don’t make sense come here and ask or look in the docs. It’s not going to make you an expert but it will introduce you to Elixir and you’ll get a good feel for it.

I also understand liking paper books and I usually end up with both paper and eBook copies. I can’t read pages and pages of text from a screen but love having searchable text and the ability to have multiple books on a single device like an iPad.

Anyway, I hope you enjoy the book and welcome to Elixir!

Learn Functional Programming with Elixir (Beginner): I didn’t read it, but it seems to cover the basic stuff in depth, so no intermediate / advanced topics. It seems to be a great book when you want to start your career in programming with Elixir.

Programming Elixir (Intermediate) or Elixir in Action (Intermediate): They are similar in essence, both are suitable for beginners with Elixir and functional programming, if programming isn’t new to you, then you’re good to go.

Beginner: Elixir’s syntax.
Intermediate: Beginner + OTP, GenServers, Supervisors…

Programming Elixir is more practical, you’ll learn Elixir by doing exercises.
Elixir in Action is more technical, you’ll gain a deep understanding on how things works.

Both are worth it, sadly I can’t make a fair review for “Learn Functional Programming with Elixir”. If the book you mention focuses in Elixir 1.4, then some modules are deprecated, like HashDict or HashSet.

Good luck in your journey!