Is there something similar to betterspecs.org to Elixir/ExUnit?

Is there an website like https://www.betterspecs.org/ for helping people with a collection of best practices or guidelines on how to do write good tests.

For instance:

• When to use describe?
  • How a good test description looks like ?
  • When and where should I use setup ?
  • Should I mock or not mock? What would the a good pattern?
1 Like

I don’t know about a website, but the book Testing Elixir (currently in beta) looks promising to help with those questions. I’m looking forward to reading it.

27 posts were split to a new topic: Split Thread: Fixtures vs Factories in Elixir

My initial idea was to find a website/repository similar to betterspecs. But it looks like there is not, and maybe not necessary ?

I know the bad thing about betterspecs is because it says what is the best and it’s very opinionated, for instance this idea of using always factories.

I like how José mentioned the idea of using factories X fixtures, showing the idea of both sides. It will depend on what you’re doing and what you want to achieve on your test.

I started something and I tried to get some comments from José and the community, and we could have a compilation of these links/comments. Maybe the book Testing Elixir will be enough. ¯_(ツ)_/¯

1 Like