Issues while adding hello/:messenger router

Hi. I’m completely new to Elixir. I was following the hex docs while learning the framework. My application runs fine when I add the hello route. But as soon as I add /hello/:messenger route the whole /hello router crashed.

Basically when I called /hello router I get this error.

[error] #PID<0.533.0> running Phoenix.Endpoint.SyncCodeReloadPlug (connection #PID<0.532.0>, stream id 1) terminated
Server: localhost:4000 (http)
Request: GET /hello
** (exit) an exception was raised:
    ** (UndefinedFunctionError) function HelloWeb.HelloWeb.HelloController.init/1 is undefined (module HelloWeb.HelloWeb.HelloController is not available)
        HelloWeb.HelloWeb.HelloController.init(:index)
        (phoenix 1.7.9) lib/phoenix/router.ex:432: Phoenix.Router.__call__/5
        (hello 0.1.0) lib/hello_web/endpoint.ex:1: HelloWeb.Endpoint.plug_builder_call/2
        (hello 0.1.0) deps/plug/lib/plug/debugger.ex:136: HelloWeb.Endpoint."call (overridable 3)"/2
        (hello 0.1.0) lib/hello_web/endpoint.ex:1: HelloWeb.Endpoint.call/2
        (phoenix 1.7.9) lib/phoenix/endpoint/sync_code_reload_plug.ex:22: Phoenix.Endpoint.SyncCodeReloadPlug.do_call/4
        (plug_cowboy 2.6.1) lib/plug/cowboy/handler.ex:11: Plug.Cowboy.Handler.init/2
        (cowboy 2.10.0) /Users/roushankashyap/Desktop/Elixir/hello/deps/cowboy/src/cowboy_handler.erl:37: :cowboy_handler.execute/2
        (cowboy 2.10.0) /Users/roushankashyap/Desktop/Elixir/hello/deps/cowboy/src/cowboy_stream_h.erl:306: :cowboy_stream_h.execute/3
        (cowboy 2.10.0) /Users/roushankashyap/Desktop/Elixir/hello/deps/cowboy/src/cowboy_stream_h.erl:295: :cowboy_stream_h.request_process/3
        (stdlib 5.0.2) proc_lib.erl:241: :proc_lib.init_p_do_apply/3

I also checked phx.routes after and before defining the /hello/:messenger router. To my surprise there is a change.

Before defining:-

GET   /                                      HelloWeb.PageController :home
  GET   /hello                                 HelloWeb.HelloController :index
  GET   /dev/dashboard/css-:md5                Phoenix.LiveDashboard.Assets :css
  GET   /dev/dashboard/js-:md5                 Phoenix.LiveDashboard.Assets :js
  GET   /dev/dashboard                         Phoenix.LiveDashboard.PageLive :home
  GET   /dev/dashboard/:page                   Phoenix.LiveDashboard.PageLive :page
  GET   /dev/dashboard/:node/:page             Phoenix.LiveDashboard.PageLive :page
  *     /dev/mailbox                           Plug.Swoosh.MailboxPreview []
  WS    /live/websocket                        Phoenix.LiveView.Socket
  GET   /live/longpoll                         Phoenix.LiveView.Socket
  POST  /live/longpoll                         Phoenix.LiveView.Socket

After defining the /hello/:messenger route

GET   /                                      HelloWeb.PageController :home
  GET   /hello                                 HelloWeb.HelloWeb.HelloController :index
  GET   /hello/:messenger                      HelloWeb.HelloWeb.HelloController :show
  GET   /dev/dashboard/css-:md5                Phoenix.LiveDashboard.Assets :css
  GET   /dev/dashboard/js-:md5                 Phoenix.LiveDashboard.Assets :js
  GET   /dev/dashboard                         Phoenix.LiveDashboard.PageLive :home
  GET   /dev/dashboard/:page                   Phoenix.LiveDashboard.PageLive :page
  GET   /dev/dashboard/:node/:page             Phoenix.LiveDashboard.PageLive :page
  *     /dev/mailbox                           Plug.Swoosh.MailboxPreview []
  WS    /live/websocket                        Phoenix.LiveView.Socket
  GET   /live/longpoll                         Phoenix.LiveView.Socket
  POST  /live/longpoll                         Phoenix.LiveView.Socket

I can see the /hello route changed from HelloWeb.HelloController to HelloWeb.HelloWeb.HelloContainer which is causing the error. Not sure how to resolve this or why this is happening.

P.S
Docs I’m using :- Request life-cycle — Phoenix v1.7.9

Hello and welcome!

Please share the code you’ve written as it’s very hard to diagnose without seeing it. Even if you’ve followed the tutorial exactly perhaps you’ve just made a typo.

Having said that, I believe I know what is going on as something like this has been happening a lot lately. I’m guessing you are using ElixirLS with the “auto alias” feature (which is on by default). Without getting into too much detail, when you type HelloController, the LS will auto create an alias as alias HelloWeb.HelloController. The TL;DR is that if you remove that alias, it will work.

The longer explanation is that scope is a macro that dynamically generates module names at compiletime. When you write:

scope "/", HelloWeb do
  pipe_through :browser

get "/hello", HelloController, :index
end

Behind the scenes, the two atoms HelloWeb and HelloController are being combined into HelloWeb.HelloController which is the name of the controller module. When you alias HelloWeb.HelloController, the alias is first expanded before the macro runs, so you end up with this:

scope "/", HelloWeb do
  pipe_through :browser

get "/hello", HelloWeb.HelloController, :index
end

which the macro then turns into: HelloWeb.HelloWeb.HelloController which is what you see in your error.

This is a bit of a weird problem. It’s sort of ElixirLS’ problem but also sort of not? I’m not sure what to say there. I personally just turn that feature off.

2 Likes

Hi @sodapopcan . Thanks for looking into it.

I’ve pushed the code here

Not sure about how to turn off the alias feature. I’ll take a look into how to do that.

Sorry for barking a bunch of Elixir info at you when you’re just starting out!

Turns out I was right—delete this line and everything will be all right. It was inserted by ElixirLS (or whichever LS you are using). Going forward, keep a lookout for that in the router. It’s only in the router that this is a problem as the machanism I outlined above doesn’t appear anywhere else.

To turn off the feature will depend on your editor (see here). Look for elixirLS.autoInsertRequiredAlias.

Works fine now @sodapopcan. Turned off the feature as well. Not sure if I could have figured this. Thanks a lot for helping.

1 Like

Completion items with auto inserted aliases are annotated with alias detail. VSCode shows that on the right side