Maps just got smaller!

I don’t really keep track of those. Maybe I should :smile:. Here are some of the things:

• Most Enum calls return lists. Could we take advantage of that information and emit better code?
  • When you pattern match on a struct we know it’s type - can we use that to emit better code, especially if later the struct is updated with %Foo{foo | bar: :baz}?
  • merge map accesses - foo.bar and foo.baz could be compiled to a single pattern match on foo.
  • Compile for that don’t do any filtering into Enum.map instead of Enum.reduce.
  • Compile for that discards result into Enum.each instead of Enum.reduce with nil as an accumulator.
  • keep track of binary/bitstring types in beam_type.erl - this should improve, in some cases, the code Elixir emits for string interpolation,
  • improve when core passes can eliminate tuple allocations - e.g. alternative complication of with - second pattern described here
  • propagate type information in beam_type.erl through jumps and function calls (this is a more general one that would benefit Erlang as well).
  • allow the compiler to eliminate closures in some situations (that’s partially explained in here)
  • include get_map_elements instruction in basic blocks, this allows optimizing registries - PR #1506
  • improve sharing optimisation - especially benefits the new way with is compiled - PR #1511
  • eliminate unnecessary stack allocations in map pattern matches Issue #452
  • eliminate extra move instructions in binary pattern matches Issue #444

Those are the ones that come to my mind right now, if I can remember something more or think about something else, I’ll post here.

15 Likes