🍵 Matcha - first-class match specifications for Elixir

DEVLOG.md 2023-03-24

It’s been a while! I thought I’d provide few updates, and talk about the roadmap a little.

Updates on available the latest branch

I’ve not yet cut out v0.1.8, as I want to finish up two bugfixes first. However:

Features

• Mirror OTP 25’s support for binary_part/2, binary_part/3, byte_size/1 in match specs
  • Got the OTP team to support ceil/2, floor/3, is_boolean/1, is_function/2, tuple_size/1 in match specs, landing in the upcoming OTP 26 release (:bangbang:)
    • already added support to Matcha for when OTP 26 is released
    • this should mean that Matcha supports all guard-safe functions in match specs written in both Elixir and Erlang!
      • except erlang’s is_record/2, which Elixir has a work-around for in OTP 26, and is a longstanding issue in erlang

Docs

• Started livebook guides and cheatsheets for adopting Matcha
    • They are intended to be a “converting my project’s match specs to use Matcha” tutorial
    • They’re still in progress as I finalize the “high level” APIs, but early feedback is welcome
  • Added a CONTRIBUTORS.md
  • Many more functions documented

Fixes

• Prevent Matcha from emitting warnings when not using :mnesia
  • Fix remaining issues compiling Kernel.and/2 and Kernel.or/2 when used in match spec bodies
  • Fix remaining issues compiling Kernel.is_exception/{1,2} and Kernel.is_struct/{1,2} when used in match spec bodies
  • This is… pretty much all of the known issues with the compiler resolved, except for the aforementioned remaining two I’m blocking a release on.
    • Matcha has a 1:2 code/test LoC ratio, and this is mostly centered around discovering edge cases in the compiler today, so I’m feeling pretty darn good about it!

Tests

• Many more codepaths tested (mostly around edge cases in the compiler to discover resolved bugs)

Roadmap

v0.1.8

• There are those two known edge-cases with spec compilation I intend to address before releasing the above progress.

v0.2.0

• This release is when I’m declaring Matcha “ready to use”!
  • The main obstacle is fleshing out documentation. I’ve spent more time on guides than module/fn docs, and it shows.
    • one of Matcha’s most ambitious goals is explaining how/when to use match specs in an approachable fashion, so I’m happy to dwell on this.
  • I’ve also spent more time on the Elixir → ms compiler than higher-level APIs to use specs built by the compiler, so tests/documentation need to be fleshed out as these settle.

v0.3.0

• I intend to rework Matcha’s tracing APIs to support even more use-cases in this release
  • I will end up ditching the :recon dependency for a custom implementation, for a few reasons
    • I’d like to keep Matcha dependency-less
    • :recon only supports tracing function calls safely, I’d like to support tracing send/receive events as well
    • I intend to apply :recon’s safety heuristics to these things other than function calls, so will ape a lot of the great work done there

v1.0.0

• This is still the release where any breaking change will imply a major version bump
    • I only anticipate hesitating to publish this post v0.3.0 if the high-level trace and table APIs prove to need a little more work post-release
  • I want full documentation/test/typespec coverage before I make this release

That’s the hot tea :tea: on Matcha, thanks for reading!

9 Likes