Meeseeks - A library for extracting data from HTML and XML with CSS or XPath selectors

Personally it wouldn’t bother me that the Rust development package has to be installed. That’s something a programmer has to be prepared to do IMO.

But I do understand that for example in CI/CD and build / production servers people would appreciate no extra compilation work – and Rust can be slow there – so I would rather support the move to Rustler precompiled and the minimum Elixir requirement to be bumped to 1.11.

Alternatively, you can have a second package e.g. meeseeks_precompiled but that would likely increase the load on you?

1 Like

Just wanted to put in a +1 for going with Rustler precompiled and increasing the minimum required Elixir version. I’d love to be able to eliminate the rust dependency.

1 Like

Supporting Rustler precompilation is definitely the direction I’m leaning.

Things are a bit busy for me right now, but I will be working on that when I have availability.

1 Like

In production when whole deployment process definitely doesn’t take few seconds? Sure! But just think about tiny Elixir scripts (like simple scrapers) with something like 50-100 LOC. A tiny Elixir script designed for quickly doing small tasks should not “setup environment” or do literally any bigger job.

2 Likes

Release 0.17.0 now supports Rustler Precompiled!

Compatibility

• No longer support Elixir versions under 1.12 or Erlang/OTP versions under 23.0
  • Support Elixir 1.13 and 1.14 and Erlang/OTP 25.0

Enhancements

• Update to meeseeks_html5ever v0.14.3, which supports NIF precompilation

Release v0.17.0

This release adds NIF precompilation using rustler_precompiled (a big thank you to @philss for all his work on that).

This also changes the supported versions drastically, mostly as a result of wanting to keep up with Rustler, which is now supporting 3 versions of Elixir and Erlang/OTP back.

4 Likes