Missing libraries and tools

That’s a really interesting idea!

Yes, please feel free to update the wiki with any ideas or ongoing projects that need help.

1 Like

Could you give an example of what kind of approval testing would be useful for you right now? What would somebody’s library do that would make it instantly useful in your eyes?

1 Like

The main appeal I saw in the library, given I do a lot of APIs, is verifying JSON responses of endpoints. I have a lot of acceptance-style tests that go through the whole stack and assert on various keys of the response. Having the response maintained separately and verified in the “approval” test way would be very helpful. Additionally committed responses would serve as a great examples for documentation - there’s nothing better than runnable documentation.

I got initially interested in the topic reading the article: https://blog.remix.com/orm-we-approve-60f2a68f73fb#.w9g9m64em
While the SQL part is not as interesting for me, the JSON one very much is.

2 Likes

Hi,

I saw that VIPS binding was on the list so I made this command line wrapper.
it’s on hex too!

This is my first real programming project it would be nice with some feedback

credits go to Morgrify for the inspiration.

I :heart: Elixir

3 Likes

Is your LDAP plugin available somewhere?

1 Like

Cool, looks good @Schultzer.

I have updated the wiki.

1 Like

Our LDAP server uses some custom identifiers for things that no other would use, however I did make the plugin able to configure those in the config.exs files, so although I’ve not released it yet I can release it if you need it?

1 Like

That would be great! I’m in the need for inspiration on how to best build one or use an existing.

1 Like

For an LDAP one? If you want generic examples you will find much better examples in the already published strategies for various things. ^.^

1 Like

I’ve written a library for syntax highlighting named Makeup, which is similar to Pygments.

It’s intended to be modular. The original package only contains some basic tools and tools to convert lists of tokens to HTML. What it’s missing is lexers for more programming languages. Currently there are lexers for Elixir and HTML5.

I’m looking for people willing to write more lexers (the priorities are probably CSS - which is already a work in progress -, Javascript and Erlang). Contributors need to know how to work with the ExSpirit parser (the basis for all lexers), which is a problem, as documentation is still scarce. There is no documentation on how to write your own lexers, although I intend to write it as soon as possible. If you want to help, learning ExSpirit is a good way to start (and it’s an exercise that pays for itself, as ExSpirit is an amazing parser!).

5 Likes

A lot of time has passed since this was last updated, anybody has a shopping list of libraries they sorely miss?

In regards to things I am very closely interested in, that would be a library for making an append-only database that can always be caught up, rsync-style; I mean a local storage mechanism that can withstand a lot of additions without an internet connection and be able to catch up quickly when eventually connected. This comes together with the need for a library to diff instances of the top-level Elixir data structures (lists, tuples, maps). @Eiji mentioned about this but I don’t see links.

I’d like to code some more data structures like regular binary trees, B trees, B+ trees, a Trie (I started one but it’s pretty minimal and doesn’t have processing functions), things like that – although I acknowledge these might not be suited well for a functional language.

2 Likes

I have started work on this, but for now this library is not a priority for me. I have lots of ideas for libraries and no enough time to work on all. Currently I’m working for Kudoo company and we are around invoices and payments topic. Depends on our progress we are focusing on maintaining libraries like invoicex (we are around to release 1.0.0 version soon), ex_api (this will be rewritten) and paymex (on todo list).

1 Like

Any updates on this? :slight_smile: I could not find an Elixir equivalent tool.

Looks like what AssertValue already does if I’m reading it right?

Just discovered this thread and I think I’ve actually built what you’re describing with Logger here @Eiji @swelham @OvermindDL1.

We just wrapped up our Logger backend. You can see how I’m using it to log observer metrics from prod. This is sent to the hosted Logflare service, so it can end up in BigQuery eventually, which lets me build out some interesting stuff easily with Data Studio.

Here’s my dashboard with some observer metrics. You can send anything to Logflare and it’ll end up in a BigQuery table which you can own and query directly. Schema is managed for you (as long as you don’t change types).

Looking for feedback from Elixir folks. I built Logflare initially for Cloudflare users, but then ultimately wanted it for myself for Elixir as well.

It is open source and you can spin it up yourself but currently, the dev experience for that is not ideal. Soon we want you to be able to provide your own backend, so you can use something other than BigQuery if you want.

Anyways I think it’s pretty cool. I would love to know what you all think!

3 Likes

For ACME I found this one: https://github.com/sikanhe/acme

1 Like

Did it work for you? I’ve not het used it, but I plan to.

1 Like

@kwando did not tried it, sorry.

Hi,

I am working on an ecto adapter for Oracle.
There is also a thread Ecto Oracle Adapter where post updates on progress and ask for help.

Please add to the list if you find it interesting.

3 Likes

I’ve used it in a production project and it worked fine, though it is version 1 of the ACME protocol.

I also used it here https://hex.pm/packages/certbot to get LE certs for a plug/phoenix project. It’s not production tested though

2 Likes