Missing libraries and tools

@Eiji I agree that notification is a separate concern, however what the library can do is prepare the list of friends and then you can do whatever with it in a separate service.

2 Likes

Thatā€™s a good idea @almasakchabayev and I agree that having more than just email/password auth libraries is needed. I have recently been looking at adding Google authenticator support to a little app I am been building which would also be pretty cool. I do agree with @Eiji with regards to splitting out social auth stuff from the social data APIs as they are two separate concerns and someone who just wants auth doesnā€™t want to bring in everything else.

I have setup a github organisation that I thought we could manage some of these projects into where all contributors agree. I plan on starting the payment gateways into this as there will be a couple or more repos.

2 Likes

@swelham I am willing to participate with what I can. I have felt a lot of pain as a newbie and I think I can contribute in that way :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Dont worry @almasakchabayev I am a newbie to Elixir as well :slight_smile:

I will get something setup over the next day or so and we can go from there.

2 Likes

Have you looked at Ueberauth ?

2 Likes

No I hadnā€™t seen that, looks really good on first glance though!

2 Likes

I use Ueberauth for the Google account login as well as I built a plugin for it to log in with our local LDAP server as well. It is very nice, not found another library yet that is capable of the same.

Thatā€™s cool, I am definitely trying it out on a project I have coming up in the next week or so.

1 Like

Iā€™m in the process of creating Blex, a developer focused blogging platform. Based on elixir and Phoenix.

Idea is to create a minimal, easy to install/deploy, fast blog platform primarily targeting developers. This means features like choice between automatic syntax highlighting or github gist creation, post series, tech stack used, linked github projects etc.

Looking for help on this, so if you are interested either send me a message here or on the elixir slack - @harrylucas (or tackle a feature on the issues page.

6 Likes

Looks great @Harrisonl, I have updated the wiki.

3 Likes

Any other things that are needed? Bump :smiley:

3 Likes

Contributors are definitely needed :slight_smile:

I have sadly been pretty busy these last few weeks and not got a lot done.

2 Likes

Can we treat this thread as a wishlist?

I thing an approval testing library would be very useful. The idea is explained in here: http://approvaltests.com/

7 Likes

Thatā€™s a really interesting idea!

Yes, please feel free to update the wiki with any ideas or ongoing projects that need help.

1 Like

Could you give an example of what kind of approval testing would be useful for you right now? What would somebodyā€™s library do that would make it instantly useful in your eyes?

1 Like

The main appeal I saw in the library, given I do a lot of APIs, is verifying JSON responses of endpoints. I have a lot of acceptance-style tests that go through the whole stack and assert on various keys of the response. Having the response maintained separately and verified in the ā€œapprovalā€ test way would be very helpful. Additionally committed responses would serve as a great examples for documentation - thereā€™s nothing better than runnable documentation.

I got initially interested in the topic reading the article: https://blog.remix.com/orm-we-approve-60f2a68f73fb#.w9g9m64em
While the SQL part is not as interesting for me, the JSON one very much is.

2 Likes

Hi,

I saw that VIPS binding was on the list so I made this command line wrapper.
itā€™s on hex too!

This is my first real programming project it would be nice with some feedback

credits go to Morgrify for the inspiration.

I :heart: Elixir

3 Likes

Is your LDAP plugin available somewhere?

1 Like

Cool, looks good @Schultzer.

I have updated the wiki.

1 Like

Our LDAP server uses some custom identifiers for things that no other would use, however I did make the plugin able to configure those in the config.exs files, so although Iā€™ve not released it yet I can release it if you need it?

1 Like