Mix phx.server has fails starting in dev mode

Been toying with Phoenix. Using an umbrella configuration as the separation of business logic and web sounds good.

Everything has been working well, until I tried using mix phx.server.

I get the following error:

$ mix phx.server
[info] Application testing exited: testing.Application.start(:normal, []) returned an error: shutdown: failed to start child: Testing.Repo
    ** (EXIT) exited in: GenServer.call(Ecto.Registry, {:associate, #PID<0.261.0>, {Testing.Repo, Testing.Repo.Pool, [name: Testing.Repo.Pool, otp_app: :testing, repo: Testing.Repo, timeout: 15000, pool_timeout: 5000, adapter: Ecto.Adapters.Postgres, username: "postgres", password: "postgres", database: "testing_dev", hostname: "localhost", pool_size: 10, pool: DBConnection.Poolboy]}}, 5000)
        ** (EXIT) no process: the process is not alive or there's no process currently associated with the given name, possibly because its application isn't started

The error is something couldn’t happen, but it is not clear what couldn’t happen.

None of the core config, mix.exs, etc. have been changed. I created a new umbrella app and did a file diff to check I didn’t actually delete a line. Besides the namespace changes and the files added for the one endpoint I’ve made there are no differences.

Any leads?

The problem seems to be with ecto. Do you have an app called testing under umbrella? Can you post its config/config.exs, config/dev.exs, and lib/testing/application.ex files?