Off-topic posts: Phoenix LiveView Info

I believe that this one time you might be the one fixating way too much – on the business side of things. People here are techies & something of businessmen. We can’t judge tech in the way a CEO does it.

We absolutely have to also focus on how do we build things, for many reasons, but mostly because we are supposedly mature professionals who pick the best tools for the job. And by “best” I mean the good technical merit and the smaller cost of ownership – I am not even including other harsh realities like the ability to legate to a junior dev if you get moved to other projects (or switch jobs) or picking tech that your company has most heads knowing about (something I hate but is a factor in a lot of companies).

I appreciate your “no fanboyism allowed” approach but IMO this time you lean way too much to the business side and I might be wrong here but I believe you put too much weight on what’s popular (Javascript). Some people – like myself – have went through 6-10 programming languages and they can have an informed opinion when saying “Elixir is much better fit than PHP, JS or Ruby for this project”. That doesn’t make the programmer a fanboy.

“This company has a lot of programmers knowing PHP” is not a good argument for project planning and never will be. The project will suffer from the normal PHP problems regardless of policy. The company might have more bodies to throw at the problem but that’s not a cost-effective solution at all. It’s mighty expensive. Only choosing the “safe” option has done our area too much damage already.

I believe it’s very normal that people try and find solutions akin to LiveView instead of dealing with Javascript. I disagree with you if you are saying that this is a bad thing.

2 Likes