On conflict, dynamically build update args using excluded values

I’m doing an insert_all on a dataset derived from a CSV. Prior to attempting this, we were always upserting using {:replace, fields} on conflict. Basically, I want to extend this to optionally “skip” rows that already exist and only insert new records.

I was able to achieve this by passing the on_conflict opt a custom update query which is built dynamically using the given fields of a struct. In the macro below (edited into pseudo code), I’m taking the fields from said struct, iterating over them and building a keyword list of dynamic queries, which look like - dynamic([q], coalesce(q.some_field, fragment("EXCLUDED.some_field"))).

What this does is -

a) Updates conflicted rows with the value that is already persisted in the db (think about it as a no-op)
b) If a value is nil will update it with the excluded value (this a very specific use case)

So now I can turn on the setting :import_new_records and import the data from the CSV without worrying about overwriting existing records.

The code below does work but its a dangerous hack, building that dynamic fragment at runtime is extremely scary and even though I’m guarding by only operating on a specific input, I’d really like to avoid it entirely.

I’ve tried a million different ways to do this but Ecto doesn’t seem to like me dynamically building these fragments. If it helps, I’m happy to supply the Postgrex errors I get when I build the fragments normally without using eval_string/3, just let me know!

Any help to achieve this safely is much appreciated.

Here is what the insert_all is being called with -

conflict_action =
      entity
      |> get_setting(:import_new_records)
      |> then(&if &1, do: on_conflict_update(struct), else: {:replace, fields})

insert_opts = [
      returning: true,
      on_conflict: conflict_action,
      timeout: @timeout,
      conflict_target: targets
    ]

Repo.insert_all(module, rows, insert_opts)

And here is the actual macro -

defmacro on_conflict_update(specific_struct) do
    quote bind_quoted: [specific_struct: specific_struct] do

unless is_struct(specific_struct, SpecificStruct) do
        raise ArgumentError,
          message: "Input must be SpecificStruct: `#{inspect(specific_struct)}`"
      end

update_args =
        specific_struct.fields
        |> Keyword.new(fn f ->
          excluded =
            "dynamic([q], fragment(\"EXCLUDED.#{f}\"))"
            |> Code.eval_string(binding(), __ENV__)
            |> elem(0)

{f, dynamic([q], coalesce(field(q, ^f), ^excluded))}
        end)

[set: update_args]
    end

I envision this working something like as follows -

specific_struct.fields
 |> Keyword.new(fn f ->
    {f, dynamic([q], coalesce(field(q, ^f), fragment("?", ^"EXCLUDED.#{f}"))}
  end)

As you can see below, the pin operator in the fragment seems to be causing problems -

** (DBConnection.EncodeError) Postgrex expected an integer in -9223372036854775808..9223372036854775807, got "EXCLUDED.some_id". Please make sure the value you are passing matches the definition in your table or in your query or convert the value accordingly.

Without pinning, I get a compilation error.

SQL only allows “values” to be sent as parameters, not things like column names. Thos this approach of making the column name a parameter won’t work no matter if you use ecto or not. You can however use literal/1 in recent ecto versions, which embeds values into the SQL directly:

https://hexdocs.pm/ecto/3.9.4/Ecto.Query.API.html#fragment/1-literals

Thanks! That makes sense, explains why I can hard code these values and get it to work but can’t do it with a fragment. I actually didn’t know about literal/1 so that’s helpful. Unfortunately though I’m unable to get it working using it. I may just have to use the eval_string/3 escape hatch defensively for the time being.

fragment("EXCLUDED.?", literal(^field_name_as_string)) should do.

I tried a few variations of fragment("EXCLUDED.?", literal(^stringified_field)) but still get compile errors of this sort -

`literal(^stringified_field)` is not a valid query expression.

Make sure you update ecto to a version supporting the macro.

Ah, yep that did it. Thanks again!