Onboard date is September 1st!
Papa is helping thousands of people across the United States. Our companionship, virtual visits and more will help the most vulnerable people age gracefully and lead happier lives.
At Papa Engineering we’re building the future of the company TODAY. Join us in shaping the engineering culture, and build features that have direct tangible impact on peoples daily lives.
We’re looking for a Senior Backend Engineer with experience with deployment and scaling traffic.
My name: Sergio Tapia
My position: Director of Engineering
Company name: Papa Inc.
Company info and history:
Papa was founded in 2016, and really hit it’s stride in 2017, growing exponentially year over year. We are family on demand, and help people throughout the aging journey. Older people are objectively happier and healthier after working with our Papa Pals and our Papa Pals feel fulfilled from their interactions as well.
In 2021, we’re going to at least 35x (not a typo!) the amount of visits we do. We offer in-person and virtual visits to our members, and pals take those visits.
We are over 100 employees distributed all over the US, and some engineering members outside of the US. We are remote first, and our culture reflects that. Remote-engineers are not second-class citizens.
Our engineering team roadmap:
2018: off-shore team
2019: one engineer
2020: ten engineers
2021 goal: ~twenty engineers
About the job
Senior Backend Engineer
Write some Elixir code, some graphql apis, some twilio integrations, a sprinkle of aws and a dash of appsignal performance tuning.
$100k - $120k
- Remote work
- Health Insurance & PTO
- An environment of trust and personal accountability
- In-house engineering talks
- The opportunity to work with cutting edge technology in a fast paced environment
Position on remote work:
This is a fully remote position only available to engineers living in the US. Preference to US-East timezone. Our engineers are spread out through the US, Philippines and Brazil.
Qualifications or experience required:
- Minimum of 3 years experience writing Elixir code
- Minimum of 5 years experience writing code in any other language.
- A mindset of ‘our code’ not ‘my code’. At Papa, code belongs to everyone, we don’t point fingers at people, we correct the process.
- Experience working remotely. It’s not for everyone, and we need someone who has the personal responsibility to properly manage their energy and commitment.
What the successful job applicant will be working on:
- Working on Papa in Elixir, Postgres, Aptible (soon AWS Kubernetes) and Graphql APIs. Our technology stack is cutting edge, but we’ve made conservative choices. New, but not crazy. Simple, not clever is our motto.
- Working with different team members to deliver end to end features covered by pragmatic test cases and automatic CI/CD pipelines.
- Work closely with our mobile and frontend teams to deliver useful APIs that scale well with our backend services.
- Exploring solutions and options given an end result. At Papa we are driven to find the solution and engineers are empowered to make the right choices.
- Assist with migration from Heroku-like platform (Aptible) over to AWS Kubernetes.
About the interview process
3 separate interviews.
Day 1 - 30 minutes: Call with me, high level we talk about what you’ve worked on, what you do for fun, personality fit - not very technical in depth.
Day 2 - 2 hours: You speak with two of our backend engineers, back to back, more technical in depth. They’ll ask you things about Elixir, Graphql, Postgres, AWS, and more. No “whiteboard” type questions.
Day 3 - 30 minutes: Call with our COO, personality and culture fit mostly. “Is this person someone I would enjoy working with?”
If you’re interested, please email me at email@example.com - send your CV and desired salary to see if we’d be a good fit. Looking forward to finding someone on this board that has helped me so much over the years.