Papa is hiring two (2) US Senior Backend Engineers - work with Elixir full time!

About us

My name: Sergio Tapia
My position: Vice President of Engineering
Company name: Papa Inc.
Company info and history:

Papa was founded in 2016, and really hit it’s stride in 2017, growing exponentially year over year. We are family on demand, and help people throughout the aging journey. Older people are objectively happier and healthier after working with our Papa Pals and our Papa Pals feel fulfilled from their interactions as well.

In 2021, we’re going to at least 35x (not a typo!) the amount of visits we do. We offer in-person and virtual visits to our members, and pals take those visits.

We are over 160 employees distributed all over the US, and some engineering members outside of the US. We are remote first, and our culture reflects that. Remote-engineers are not second-class citizens.

Our engineering team roadmap:

2018: off-shore team
2019: one engineer
2020: twenty engineers
Our goals for 2021: ~40 to 50 engineers

Job title:
Senior Backend Engineer

Job description:

• Scaling our Elixir monolith.
  • Work on our Phoenix Framework graphql API.
  • Performance tune database queries to squeeze out every bit of performance possible.
  • Create GraphQL endpoints that our frontend and mobile teams can consume.
  • Work with our lead engineer to improve the impact of our datadog dashboards and make them even more useful.
  • Participate in architecture decisions and decide how to implement the future of Papa Tech.

Salary range:
Depending on experience.

• Remote work
  • Health Insurance & PTO
  • An environment of trust and personal accountability
  • In-house engineering talks
  • The opportunity to work with cutting edge technology in a fast paced environment

Position on remote work:
This is a fully remote position only available to engineers living in the US. Preference to Miami locals and US-East timezone. Our engineers are spread out through the US, Philippines and Brazil.

Qualifications or experience required:

• Minimum of 3 years experience writing Elixir code
  • Minimum of 6 years experience writing code in any other language.
  • A mindset of ‘our code’ not ‘my code’. At Papa, code belongs to
    everyone, we don’t point fingers at people, we correct the process.
  • Experience writing and scaling Phoenix Framework applications, and GraphQL APIs.
  • Experience with performance tuning Postgresql databases.
  • Experience with performance tuning Elixir applications.
  • Experience working remotely. It’s not for everyone, and we need
    someone who has the personal responsibility to properly manage their
    energy and commitment.

What the successful job applicant will be working on:

• Working on Papa in Elixir, Postgres, Aptible (soon AWS Kubernetes) and Graphql APIs. Our technology stack is cutting edge, but we’ve made conservative choices. New, but not crazy. Simple, not clever is our motto.
  • Working with different team members to deliver end to end features covered by pragmatic test cases and automatic CI/CD pipelines.
  • Work closely with our mobile and frontend teams to deliver useful APIs that scale well with our backend services.
  • Exploring solutions and options given an end result. At Papa we are driven to find the solution and engineers are empowered to make the right choices.
  • Assist with migration from Heroku-like platform (Aptible) over to AWS Kubernetes.

About the interview process

3 separate interviews.

Day 1 - 30 minutes: Call with me, high level we talk about what you’ve worked on, what you do for fun, personality fit - not very technical in depth.

Day 2 - four seperate interviews: Speak with our backend engineers. They’ll ask you things about Elixir, Graphql, Postgres, AWS, and more. No “whiteboard” type questions.

Day 3 - 30 minutes: Call with our COO, personality and culture fit mostly. “Is this person someone I would enjoy working with?”

Further info

If you’re interested, please email me at stapia@joinpapa.com - send your CV and desired salary to see if we’d be a good fit. Looking forward to finding someone on this board that has helped me so much over the years.

2 Likes