People who have worked in depth with React and SPA's - how realistic is LiveView for a replacement?

In my opinion developers are missing the point about the real use case for Live View, and that is a lot due to disservice that PhoenixPhrenzy contest made and all that useless demos out there, that use live view to build games and change the Dom for pure user interactions with the page that do not require server side business logic.

So my take in my product is that I am using Live View but I am keeping it to places where I need to change the data with business logic, aka when a trip to the back-end is always necessary no matter what technology you are using, and where I want to avoid duplication of the business logic between server side and client side, like forms validations.

For example I am not using LV to control the Dom from the server side for things that are about user interaction with the page, like a menu, modals, popups, collapse/exapnd divs, etc. because that is what I see being done a lot. For that developers I just recommend them to use whatever they are building when commuting by train, bus or car and observe how sluggish the webpage will become.

26 Likes