ryanswapp

ryanswapp

I wrote up a little tutorial on setting up a GraphQL server in Phoenix with Absinthe. Here is a link https://ryanswapp.com/2016/11/29/phoenix-graphql-tutorial-with-absinthe/

This is a starting point that I plan to build on. I’ll hopefully have a post up explaining how I’ve done authentication with Absinthe and maybe move into channels and the frontend. Absinthe is great! If you haven’t given it a shot I recommend checking it out :slight_smile:

Showing Posts 11 to 20

Oxyrus

Oxyrus

Would you mind explaining how could we query to this application like you do in your tutorial?

I thought the only difference would be author/user and that Ryan uses a database instead of hard-coded data, however the query:

export default graphql(gql`
  query posts {
    id
    title
    user {
      id
      name
    }
  }
`)(PostList);

This query doesn’t work either:

export default graphql(gql`
  query allPosts {
    posts {
      id
      title
      user {
        id
        name
      }
    }
  }
`)(PostList);

Both return the error “posts is undefined”.

Edit: the old trick of posting it to figure it out one minute later, Ryan uses “/api” to forward requests, you use “/graphql”, is it possible to change it?

petecorey

petecorey

In my post you can change your endpoint by setting up a networkInterface when you initiate your ApolloClient. Check out the Apollo docs for an example.

I think the “posts is undefined” error you’re seeing might be caused by not running Ryan’s migrations and seed script? Be sure to do mix ecto.migrate and then mix run priv/repo/seeds.exs before starting up your server.

I forked Ryan’s project and added the simple Apollo-based front-end from my post. You can also just look at the diff from the last commit to see all of the changes I made. Hopefully that makes things a little clearer.

Oxyrus

Oxyrus

Seems like by default, the apollo client makes the requests to “/graphql”, Ryan instead, set it to “/api”. that was all :smiley:

hlx

hlx

Hey Ryan, great article!

I’m trying to hack together an Absinthe app (without Phoenix) and I was wondering how you would split the Schema (into multiple files) before it becomes to big.

I’m using an Electron based client, graphiql-app, because it allow me to set custom headers (e.g. for authentication)

ryanswapp

ryanswapp OP

Thanks! Good question… I was just thinking about this myself. I haven’t yet tried this out but I think it would work. You could do something like this:

# Another File
defmodule MyApp.Schema.Query.User do
  object :user_queries do 
    field :users, list_of(:user) do
      resolve &MyApp.UserResolver.all/2
    end

    field :user, type: :user do
      arg :id, non_null(:id)
      resolve &MyApp.UserResolver.find/2
    end
  end
end

# Schema file
defmodule MyApp.Schema do
  import_types MyApp.Schema.Query.User
  query do
    import_fields :user_queries
  end
end
hlx

hlx

Thanks! Will test this out

piyushcoader

piyushcoader

great stuff man loved it. just a noob question . can we use phoenix template with graphql?

benwilson512

benwilson512

Author of Craft GraphQL APIs in Elixir with Absinthe

Hey there, this is a great question. Most of the stuff you see with GraphQL is using it to power an API. However we have an experimental project we hope to release very very soon that lets you use graphql to power totally ordinary Phoenix views.

piyushcoader

piyushcoader

can’t wait to see it man. and i wish i can contribute as well

vic

vic

Asdf Core Team

For those interested on using Absinthe with Apollo client via Phoenix channels, I just released a custom Apollo networkInterface just for that: apollo-phoenix-websocket

Where Next? Top

Trending in Discussions Top

cblavier
Hey there, It’s been more than a year since we started using LiveView as our main UI library and building a whole library of UI componen...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
achempion
I’ve been using Emacs as my main code editor for more than a two years. It’s a custom build version although I’ve tried doom emacs and sp...
New
axelson
Hi there! :wave: @frigidcode and I (but mostly him) have been running an Elixir Book club, we’re almost done with Designing Elixir Syste...
New
budgie
I love Elixir. It’s one of 2 programming languages I’ve ever fallen in love with. But I don’t use it anymore. Serverless was the promis...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
georgeguimaraes
Just published claude-code-elixir, a plugin marketplace for Claude Code with Elixir support. These are the plugins I’ve been using for my...
New
Dmk
Xamal is a deployment tool for Elixir apps that deploys native releases to bare metal servers over SSH. It’s a port of GitHub - basecamp/...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews