Phoenix v1.5.0 released!

Congrats.

Weird thing: my Firefox is pumping memory if I leave the Live Dashboard open:

Do you recall what those other priorities were?

I don’t believe he specified.

Will the advent of LiveDashboard make Prometheus integration obsolete?

No, the dashboard is good to see what’s going on right now, but it has no persistence. You’d still want to hook a real metrics system eventually that can keep history beyond node restarts.

6 Likes

Cool, I wasn’t aware of that. I guess they can serve complementary roles then.

There are no updates on the upload front but LV 0.12.0 adds phx-trigger-action, which allows you to submit the form to an URL at any given moment. So you can still use LiveView to provide validation and what not and then submit the form to a controller that does the upload for you. phx-trigger-action is also useful when you need to set the session or cookies, like login pages.

8 Likes

Which page are you on? The charts page? If ti is the charts page, it is because the charts accumulate data forever. We probably want to find a way to prune it. Please confirm. :slight_smile:

1 Like

It’s on the metrics page

Thank you sir @josevalim for the tips! will try that one!

Wow, GREAT JOB ! thank you guys so much !

I just wanted to say the request logger in the dash is bad ass!!! Thank you! :heart::heart::heart::heart:

Is there anyway to use LiveView without Webpack/NPM?

I haven’t tried this yet but I’m pretty sure you can copy the minified JS from Github into your /priv/static/js then use <script> tags in your layout like this:

<script src="<%= Routes.static_path(@conn, "/js/phoenix-v1.5.0-rc.0.js") %>"></script>
<script src="<%= Routes.static_path(@conn, "/js/phoenix_live_view-v0.12.1.js") %>"></script>
<script src="<%= Routes.static_path(@conn, "/js/app.js") %>"></script>
1 Like

The new LiveDashboard is awesome, I found the Request Logger an excellent help to debug the application.

Is there a way to exclude the LiveDashboard from reloads by the LiveReload?

My use case is the following: I have 2 browser tabs open, one with my app, the other one with the LiveDashboard. I enable the cookie parameter on the Request Logger, so the requests appear live. Then I change my app, say, the layout or a template, so LiveReload kicks in, reloads my app, which is fine, but at this point I expected the Request Logger show the new logs.

Instead, the whole LiveDashboard is reloaded, so I have to enable the cookie again. If we could make the Dashboard opt-out of live reload somehow, the workflow would so much better.

2 Likes

You can conditionally call the plug :slight_smile:

if code_reloading? do
    socket "/phoenix/live_reload/socket", Phoenix.LiveReloader.Socket
-   plug Phoenix.LiveReloader
+   plug :live_reloader, exclude: ["/dashboard"]
    plug Phoenix.CodeReloader
    plug Phoenix.Ecto.CheckRepoStatus, otp_app: :drive_in
  end

+ defp live_reloader(conn, exclude: excludes) do
+   if conn.path_info in excludes do
+     conn
+   else
+     Phoenix.LiveReloader.call(conn, Phoenix.LiveReloader.init([]))
+   end
+ end
12 Likes

Thanks Chris! This worked fine. For the record, I changed it a bit to:

if code_reloading? do
    socket("/phoenix/live_reload/socket", Phoenix.LiveReloader.Socket)
    plug :live_reloader, exclude: "dashboard"
    plug(Phoenix.CodeReloader)
  end

defp live_reloader(conn, exclude: exclude) do
    if exclude in conn.path_info do
      conn
    else
      Phoenix.LiveReloader.call(conn, Phoenix.LiveReloader.init([]))
    end
  end
3 Likes

You will need to acquire the js libs for phoenix and manager the resources your self like you would back in the day. As far as I know there is no dependency on Webpack or Npm as Webpack is just a packager and Npm is just a package look up tool.

Though to be honest if you didn’t already know this, then you probably would greatly benefit from the services of both. That said I still have rage fits with Webpack even after using it for almost 3 years. Don’t get me started on tree shaking in production!

2 Likes

Reviewing a newly generated app using the --live option I noticed there is a few small changes to the layouts.

Mostly the addition of the put_root_layout helper in the router and the new template/layouts.

• app.html.eex
  • live.html.leex
  • root.html.leex

As noted before I see that the put_root_layout is calling on the root.html.leex layout and the live_view macro is calling on the live.html.leex layout.

That said I can’t seem to find anywhere that is calling on the app.html.eex is that to say its an orphaned file produced by the generator? Is it assumed to be used at some later point?

I think the news about 1.5.0 has been missed by the fact this pin still says 1.5.0-rc0. Maybe update the title?

1 Like