TaxJar’s remote-only team of 50 people is growing quickly. We have an immediate opening for a Elixir Software Engineer who wants to help us make ecommerce easier for everyone.
Our core values
- We do the right thing for our customers.
- We’re a team, built on trust.
- We’re proud to be remote.
- We’re in control of our own destiny.
We want you to join our Platform Engineering team and help us build a product our customers love. The Platform Engineering team at TaxJar is solving complex problems on a daily basis, supporting our growing customer base and creating new solutions in a complex domain. We deal with large datasets, complex frequently-changing sales tax rules, and automating complex processes for thousands of business customers
My name: Alec Carper
My position: Platform Engineering Lead
Company name: TaxJar
Company info and history:
We’re a happy team and we all really love what we do. We’ve created a space where high-achievers can succeed, but are also safe to fail. We’re profitable and focused on growing TaxJar sustainably. We’re always learning how to make TaxJar the best place to work for all of us, and not just another tech startup. We’re always looking for an amazing new teammates to come share in the excitement of solving real-world problems with technology.
About the job
Job title: Platform Engineer
Job description: Help convert our public facing API from Ruby to Elixir. Design, build, and scale additional internal and external microservices.
Salary range: 90k-130k
Position on remote work: TaxJar is a 100% remote company
Qualifications or experience required:
- 2+ years experience with: Elixir, Phoenix, and Postgresql
- Ability to write clear and accurate tests
- Write code that is maintainable and readable by your team
- Be accountable for the code you deliver to production
- Manage development tasks from assignment through to production
- Agile, humble, trustworthy, and a team player
- Rapid learner who thrives in a fast-paced and demanding environment
- Passion for building simple and intuitive solutions for complex problems in ecommerce
- Prior SaaS development, API development or similar app dev experience
- Excel at communicating with the team remotely (chat, video, email, etc)
What the successful job applicant will be working on:
- Write strong Elixir code daily
- Be challenged to solve new problems
- Review and test your teammates pull requests
- Contribute to and maintain our existing test suites
- Build out apps and services for managing thousands of sales tax rules
- Help with improving and scaling our SmartCalcs API
- Work with Elixir, Phoenix, AWS and more
- Help monitor and support 24/7 Elixir applications and services
About the interview process
- Qualified candidates will be invited to have a 30 minute introductory chat to discuss the job, TaxJar’s culture, and their qualifications in more detail.
- After the initial phone screening, a follow up code interview will be conducted where we can pair program on a small elixir app together. This will help us determine your problem solving, communication, and Elixir skills in a real-world scenario.
- Post code-interview, you will meet with members of the team that you will be working on and also our CTO, CEO or Head of Employee Experience.
- The final stage is to join TaxJar in a paid, mutual trial. During this mutual trial you will join us on Basecamp, attend stand ups, and work on production code. This is a time for you to learn about the team you may be joining and for us to get to know
Please apply here: https://taxjar.workable.com/jobs/850448