Problem testing phx_click

Hi All.

I’m trying to wrap my head around live view testing (and failing :wink: I have a live view page which has a phx_click on it that triggers a modal form to be displayed. It works exactly the same as if I’d used live_patch.

<%= link "New EUR Exchange Rate", to: "#",
           phx_click: "new_exchange_rate",
           phx_value_to_currency: "EUR"
  %>

the code to handle the click is…

def handle_event("new_exchange_rate", %{"to-currency" => to_currency}, socket) do
socket =
  socket
  |> assign(:live_action, :new_exchange)
  |> assign(:page_title, page_title(socket.assigns.live_action))
  |> assign(:to_currency, to_currency)
  |> assign(:exchange_rate, %ExchangeRate{})

{:noreply, socket}

end

The actual code works correctly in the app but then I came to start testing and hit a roadblock. My test is as follows…

{:ok, show_live, html} = live(conn, Routes.currency_show_path(conn, :show, currency))

assert show_live |> element("a", "New GBP Exchange Rate") |> render_click() =~
           "Show Currency"

{:ok, show_live, html} =
    show_live
    |> form("#exchange-rate-form", currency: @currency_attrs)
    |> render_submit()
    |> follow_redirect(conn, Routes.currency_show_path(conn, :index, currency))
end

This fails because the test can’t find the form("#exchange-rate-form"). The reason is that the result of the render_click doesn’t actually update show_live (which I assumed it would). I then tried

show_live =
    show_live |> element("a", "New GBP Exchange Rate") |> render_click() =~
      "Show Currency"

show_live now contains the form (as I’d expect but as pure html - not as a view - so the call to form fails.

I’m. really hoping I’m doing something daft as I don’t want to use live_patch (for various reasons). Any ideas out there that might help would be gratefully received.

cheers

Dave

Never mind - it was an ID10T error on my part. I had the wrong form id. Amazing what a good nights sleep can do to a problem.