Proposal: moving towards discoverable config files

@sasajuric I think there’s one fundamental thing we don’t agree on when looking at the mix config.

I don’t agree with the premise that mix config is for operator configuration - it is most definitely not. Things that are usually operator configuration - API keys, component addresses should not go in there. But things such as configuring rendering or names of components, etc, should be there. That’s what allows us to have loosely coupled components that are joined through configuration (great example are pubsub name, etc in the phoenix endpoint configuration) - this is a good thing.

I agree with what you said that we violate this for convenience - e.g. we set Ecto database credentials in the config files or phoenix port number. My view, though, is that this violation goes the other way - everything else belongs to mix config files, but things that operators might want to change don’t. They are better served by environment variables or other ways (including JSON files that you mentioned).

@hubertlepicki I think the proposed change wouldn’t “fix” anything in the compile-time vs runtime confusion space. It would be equally as confusing as it is right now. I agree that’s a problem, but it is not a problem this proposal tries to solve. We should have a separate proposal for addressing this problem.

Addressing your proposal for separate runtime and compile-time config files - that’s an idea I had in the past as well. The downside is that if you want to have both per-environment (and you’d probably do want that), now you get 8 config files - the problem of what goes where and how to understand what is the final value just got even worse not better.

6 Likes