Published vs Self-Published

e-ik is absolutely wonderful. I actually really would like to have a computer screen with it, to use when programming or writing texts(the slow refresh rate is no problem for those activities). so much easier on the eyes, and it still works when outside in broad daylight. It also only uses energy when refreshing the screen, by the way. Really awesome stuff.

2 Likes

Thanks for all the responses.

I have decided to reject the publisher’s offer. My reasoning is a little bit long, so I put it on my blog: Self-Publishing vs Traditional Publishing

3 Likes

Was a bit surprised to run across this today: Apress.com: Erlang and Elixir for Imperative Programmers

and it turns out that the Leanpub version has been retired. Seems that Web Applications with Elm has relocated to Apress as well (maybe Apress improved their terms).

I personally think going with a publisher is a good move, congrats @kujua!

Thanks.

Also @peerreynders. Yes, it was surprising for me as well, but after many talks and much considering I decided to take the offer to put both books to Apress (and yes, I could negotiate better terms). Despite what I am thinking about self-publishing, the credibility to go with a publisher is just greater for most people.

In addition, I don’t have time to do all the marketing. When I was present on Twitter etc I sold some books. With the work on the Elm book I just had to focus on something else, sales dropped immediately and in total the book has 94 readers.

I will still use Leanpub for other (smaller) books next year, but I am also concentrating on pushing a training business for developers in Europe, based in my home country Austria. At the moment I am still sitting in Kenya. So many things coming together

Thanks for the links :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I also happen to think that currently the “amazon effect” shouldn’t be underestimated. It acts as a search engine for traditionally published materials and as a reviews warehouse regardless of whether people actually end up purchasing the merchandise from amazon directly.

1 Like