Rails 5.0 release topic on HN 50% are comments about Elixir/Phoenix

Totally agree with you there. Elixir owes a lot to Ruby including a huge amount of the developer community that values what it offers. It also owes a lot to Node because Node was supplanting Ruby in terms of a solution to the performance issues but Javascript itself has a lot of issues that aren’t going away any time soon…that leaves people looking for other solutions. Go capitalized on a lot of that but IMO Elixir is going to be the end-game here.

As somebody who valued performance and proper database usage when I got into Ruby, the amount of people preaching beauty of code at the expense of proper solutions turned me off. I think that one of the biggest segments that Elixir is appealing to is that group - the people who saw the benefits of Ruby but wanted a community that didn’t want to trade proper solutions for “beauty”. IMO proper solutions are beautiful. When I first read Programming Phoenix and saw advocating using the database constraints to avoid race conditions instead of the “do everything in the framework” mentality I’d observed from so many others I had to do a triple take to make sure I wasn’t dreaming.

The more this community adheres to proper solutions (aka, ideological purity is not always good) + developer productivity + performance + good conduct the more it will continue to grow, succeed and become an example that the programming community strives for.

4 Likes

Yes, there is such a thing as “no scale applications”, i work mostly on this kind, i am trying to learn elixir because i liked it, and i know i can have it on my tools bag.

Have knowledge on any tools you want, chose one, don’t piss anyone, you good to go.

You can choose whenever you want to work, and don’t have to piss anyone on the internet like posting on rails forum about how elixir is good.