Remembering state in a distributed program

Hi,

i am learning distributed systems these days and want to implement a small program for fun. This program should work as follows:

1. n number of target nodes
  2. Upload an executable to one node and then that node can send it through other nodes, until the target nodes are met.
  3. A consensus protocol (raft or paxos) that can do the consensus among these nodes (either start a new node or not).
  4. A node can be killed and then the program can initialize an extra node to reach the target node.
  5. Also i want to send the status back to main node. i.e. time required to reach the target node or time between shutting down of a node and start of a new node.

I am practicing this on my local machince and each node can have its own directory.

I dont know where to start and how to proceed along.

I would love to hear back from you guys.

You could try with this article:

It starts with theory and proceeds to elixir example (linking to elixir raft implementation).

To simulate the nodes you could run them in docker (each container has a separate IP) or on localhost on different ports, and break connectivity between them using iptables (firewall rules).

1 Like

Thanks, it will be a good start. I was wondering, initially instead of using docker can i use iex --sname node. Do they share state with other nodes, if initiated in different directories ?

Even if initiated in single directory it may not share state. All depends whether you explicitly share state through filesystem, otherwise these instances will be mostly independent.

2 Likes

Why not just have an network abstraction that send messages over erlang distribution. You can hook it up to “real tcp/tls” later… Plus that way you can have a global process do netdown or netlag events by injecting black hole or ring buffer handlers, or nodedowns by shutting down the entire VM.