Representing the world with processes

Just to be clear, I’m not that concerned about the (subjective) “best way” as much as toying around with the overall concept. BTW, I’m not making any claims about what should or shouldn’t be done. However, the premise of the question is well stated in the topic, feel free to make a suggestion of what you think is “right” for this scenario :blush:.

Yes, someone already posted this link before, but I’m curious why you think that this use-case “goes against the most fundamental principles of OTP”. The post you linked also says: “Use processes to separate runtime concerns”, which seems appropriate.

I might be completely wrong here, but I have read and watched people comparing processes in Elixir/ Erlang with objects (in the traditional sense) many times. So, imagine me trying to make sense of “this goes against the most fundamental OTP principles” :grimacing:. There’s this other old topic over here, with a video of Joe Armstrong talking about processes in terms of “objects” as well: Objects vs Processes.

PS.: I’m not saying that processes should be used as objects from OOPL (I’m also not saying that we shouldn’t either), but I think you already got that this is not exactly the case. I’m sure folks already have strong opinions on what the “best practices” are.

Very cool idea @mpope! I think this hierarchical naming scheme makes it very obvious how we can track the processes and easily understand what are the “dependencies” even in a flat structure. It also makes the process of mapping those dependencies trivial if we rely on this map for lookups - very cool! I’d toy around with this idea right now if I had the time, but I think I’ll have to wait for the weekend :smile::clap:.