At Packlane, we help customers create impactful custom packaging – and we need you to create the powerful systems and integrations that make it all possible. In fact, we’d be OK with you wearing a brightly colored superhero cape at your desk because you have visionary powers to see the future, lasers in your fingertips to weld together innovative solutions, and X-ray vision for detecting and eradicating bugs and inefficiencies.
Consider Packlane a unique challenge - you’ll be in charge of code that allows people with a range of design knowledge (from novice to expert craftsman) to create a product that truly helps them tell their business’s brand story. It’s a big job, but the engineer we’re looking for will be excited to work on a career-defining startup that’s pioneering new approaches to designing and manufacturing packaging. Join our team as a software engineer and put your super-skills to work for the forces of good.
My name: Alexei Sholik
My position: Senior Software Engineer
Company name: Packlane
Packlane has been using Elixir since 2016. Our tech stack includes the usual suspects Phoenix and Ecto. We’re using Postgres as the database and our core applications run on AWS.
About the job
Job title: Senior Backend Engineer
Position on remote work: Yes
Employment type: Employee or contract depending on location
Qualifications or experience required
- 3+ years of experience in Elixir, Phoenix, and Ecto to build domain logic, web APIs, internal tools, or similar big projects in production. You have a couple of languages under your belt and aren’t afraid of picking up new ones.
- Real-world experience in designing and evolving SQL schemas and writing code that manages relational data. You’re confident working through the tradeoffs of different transaction isolation levels, choosing indexing strategies for tables, and deciding when and how to use data caching in memory, as a few examples.
- A great understanding of backend web technologies, from principles of networking and HTTP protocols up to running applications behind load balancers and proxies. You’re a whiz at speeding applications up using caching and CDNs, and don’t break a sweat while debugging production issues with the help of logs and tracing.
- Experience setting up and managing cloud resources in AWS or GCP.
- You understand the value but also the cost of writing tests. We value high test coverage and, at the same time, we try to avoid being slowed down by tests that are too implementation-dependent when refactoring existing code.
- An easy-to-work-with attitude, well-organized, and highly self-motivated.
- Reliable. Accountable. Dependable. And all the other good -ables. You know what they are.
- Great communication and collaboration skills.
- Strong work ethic and a healthy obsession with learning new things.
- Don’t see your strengths listed? Tell us about them! We want eager and gritty applicants not narrowly pigeon-holed engineers.
What we’re offerring
- Use the technologies you love - Packlane is an opportunity to cut your teeth on an exciting technology stack, including innovative development frameworks and cutting-edge functional languages.
- We’re a small team - You’ll be one of few, which means you’ll have a real chance to make an impact. Expect (and hopefully enjoy!) a lot of control and influence over product decisions and prioritization, with significant engagement and input into business decision-making.
- You’ll help build our future - We’ve got a lot of ambitious projects in the works, from re-building manufacturing infrastructure from the ground up, to implementing robust order management systems that orchestrate an intricate production flow, and you’ll be at the forefront of it all. We value creative thinking, bold decisions, and the courage to take ownership over solutions.
- You’ll be challenged to grow - If you are curious and willing to continue to learn and level-up, you’ll be right at home on our tea. We value diverse and growing skillsets as well as deep knowledge in specific areas of software development and engineering. We encourage exploration and growth, sharing your knowledge, and evolving our stack and implementation.
- Flexibility - We’re a fully remote company, from Engineering through Customer Service. We’re proud of our remoteness and make sure to stay connected and interactive through Slack, Zoom, and other channels. We operate across all the North American time zones from GMT-3 to GMT-7. We value work-life balance and work to find innovative solutions to meet peoples’ needs.
About the interview process
- (optional) Call with our CEO about past experiences and what you are looking for.
- Call with our Head of Product and Technology to talk about your potential role and responsibilities.
- Technical interview with one or two members of the engineering team.
How to apply
Contact me at email@example.com with your resume and a few words about why you’re interested in working with us.