Peek makes the world’s tours & activities easily bookable — anytime, anywhere. Our industry-leading SaaS technology, Peek Professional, empowers operators to better manage and grow their businesses.Peek.com connects people with everyday adventures that create lasting memories. Peek’s rapid growth has made it the largest independent B2B activities booking platform in the world.
My name: Tony Dam
My position: Hiring Manager
Company name: Peek
Company info and history:
Our web platform is built on Ember.js frontend and Elixir backend tied together by a GraphQL API built on Absinthe. We make heavy use of PostgreSQL for our storage needs and we host our platform on AWS/GCP. Another core part of our offering is a fully native mobile app on iOS - that is written in Swift.
More info on our stack
About the job
Senior Backend Engineer
Are you passionate about distributed systems and Elixir? Want to work on interesting technical problems around booking management and payments? Peek is looking for a backend engineer to join its platform team. The ideal candidate has 5+ years of backend development experience with Elixir/Ruby and some experience using message queues. Additional experience with service-oriented architectures, GraphQL and/or mobile backend systems is also desired but not required. In this role you will have the opportunity to take a lot of ownership, learn new technologies and influence the technical direction of the Peek platform.
Examples of projects built by backend engineers at Peek:
- Payment processing
- Supplier payments
- Real-time availability
- Fraud detection
- Integrations with Google, Expedia, TripAdvisor and Groupon
- Standardized activity booking API for the travel industry
Competitive pay and equity
Position on remote work:
The entire team works remotely although most of us are based near Seattle WA and San Francisco CA.
This role is remote contingent upon your time zone being in-line with the greater USA.
Qualifications or experience required:
Experience with Elixir is strongly preferred but not an absolute requirement. At a minimum you should have senior and broad production experience with a modern development language such as Ruby/Rails.
- Strong experience in system architecture (application design, databases, etc) and design trade-offs
- Some experience with message queues such as RabbitMQ
- Strong understanding of relational and/or non-relational databases
- Exposure to unit and/or integration test frameworks
- Degree in CS or similar field, or equivalent work experience
About the interview process
- Apply via this link
- Initial conversation with me
- Coding challenge/technical discussion
- Additional team member interviews
- Job offer