Senior Elixir Engineer - Valued, Remote Worldwide

About us

We’re a fully funded and remote company with 5 employees in 5 different locations, across 3 majorly different timezones (CEST, NZST, CST).

As co-founders, we’re very lucky to say that this is the second time we’ve all worked together. We met while building Travis CI and after 2+ years growing our expertise elsewhere, we’re now excited to help companies understand what their customers value :sparkles:

Valued is developer-first platform that encourages teams’ alignment through data. We’re building a product that customers love based on actual product usage, while helping others do the same.

My name: Josh Kalderimis
My position: CEO
Company name: Highly Valued

About the job

Job title: Senior Elixir Engineer

We’re looking for a Senior Software Engineer, who will help us build the core data streaming experience and our web application backend at Valued, developing a secure and flexible product analytics platform.

We are rapidly growing and adjusting the product technology we use as we see fit. You’ll be an essential part of these decisions. As one of our first engineers, you will be instrumental in architectural and technological decisions, with a lot of room to grow both individually and as a team.

Our technology stack currently includes:

• Core application built with the Phoenix web framework, with an HTML-over-the-wire frontend using LiveView.
  • PostgreSQL and TimeScale DB.
  • Terraform and Kubernetes, on top of GCP.
  • Tools we use for development and communication include GitHub, Figma, Slack, and Slite.

We do not expect you to be well versed in all these tools. We do, however, expect you to be eager to learn.

About you

• You have at least 3 years of experience working in backend and/or infrastructure engineering on a SaaS, PaaS, or IaaS application.
  • Experience with Elixir and Phoenix or Erlang/OTP
  • Highly collaborative. You have experience in pair programming, code reviews, discussions about architecture or data models.
  • Able to work autonomously. We are in the very early stages of building a product and a company, which makes this role has a very high impact; but also, that you will have to manage a good part of your focus, time, and workload yourself.
  • Fluent in English. You should be able to communicate with the rest of the team, both synchronously and asynchronously.

Optional Bonus Points

• You’ve worked remotely before and/or understand the challenges around working across different time zones.
  • You have experience with segment.io, mixpanel.com, amplitude.com, or similar tools.
  • You have experience with event streaming and related technologies, like Kafka, AMQP, or Redis.
  • You have worked with data intensive applications
7 Likes

To apply I assume the form on the homepage is to be used: https://join.valued.app/

There seems to be a bug though. Clicking on any of the “Add position” type buttons it redirects to that previous link again. How strange… is it one of my extensions?

Anyway. Here’s the fix. But beware of buttons appearing after clicking places, need to run this line again.

[...document.querySelectorAll('a[href="https://join.valued.app/"]')].forEach(el => el.removeAttribute('href'))
1 Like

Thanks for messaging about that issue. I forwarded on to Konstantin last night and I think he either applied your fix or he turned off his little js snippet.

Looking forward to reading your application!

1 Like

We are flexible with then exactly you work, but you should be available for team calls between 3 pm and 8 pm UTC between Mon-Thurs.

I think maybe it should also be put in the announcement post. BTW does it mean these are basically core hours every day or just a timeframe in which predefined meetings happen?

1 Like

Hi @katafrakt

Sorry for not including that in the post.

Those aren’t core working hours, it’s just when meetings are most likely to occur.

The majority of the team is based in Europe, and I’m in New Zealand, so when we have full team meetings (once or twice a week) they will generally happen at 7 pm UTC. Engineering calls will happen earlier due to the fact that my ridiculous time zone doesn’t need to be taken into account :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Love that guy :heart_eyes:

1 Like