Spacemacs - General Discussion, Blog Posts, Wiki

I did, many times.

Still not working.

Frustrating, I am gonna test a bit later tonight. I will steal my wife`s mac and test it there.

Are there any short but concise video tutorials on spacemacs and alchemist? I really want to learn more about spacemacs than I do now (basic VIM usage, traversing windows, project tree), but I would rather invest a maximum of 1 hour to learn the important stuff and then focus on actual elixir development and learning :slight_smile: .

1 Like

Iā€™ve been told that the spacemacs documentation is really good and worth skimming over so Iā€™d recommend that - it may also be worth going through this thread as thereā€™s some great tips here.

Re Alchemistā€¦ I am not aware of any tuts but the docs look good http://alchemist.readthedocs.io/en/latest/basic_usage/ :023:

Ok guys I have updated the first post - can you take a look and see if this now serves as a good guide for those new to SpaceMacs?

Do you think we should add some basic Alchemsist tips? Or is directing people to the basic usage guide sufficient?

2 Likes

Thx it seems it works without company-mode :slight_smile:

1 Like

I found this video short but nice :slight_smile:

1 Like

Nice find @mkunikow - added it to the wiki :023:

I am currently trying to set up shell right now, for some reason it is not honouring my .bash_profile - anyone have any ideas on how to get it to do so? (On Mac OS X)

I donā€™t know Mac but for linux you set env in .profile file. The .bashrc is only used when you start bash.

1 Like

I just found this:

Emacs shell environments behave differently from Terminal environments and in order to have correct environments like LANG=en_GB.utf-8 LC_ALL=en_GB.utf-8 or PATH= for sub-applications launched from Emacs like R, Octave, Gnuplot etc., set the environments not only in .bash_profile but in .bashrc and try (since Yosemite /etc/launchd.conf is no more consulted for security reasons).

I just created a .bashrc file and added . ~/.bash_profile to it and now it seems to be working fine :smiley:

1 Like

Only thing I really want now is for numbers to show for each window - so I can use SPC <number> to jump to that window. Anyone know how to get them to show with each window? From what I read it should already show with 3 or more windows openā€¦ but Iā€™m not seeing it :confused:

What youā€™re describing reminds me of ace-window, but I donā€™t know if itā€™s been configured for Spacemacs or thereā€™s a preferred alternative.

1 Like

I must be going blind because the numbers are already there :043: (in the bottom left corner of each window :icon_redface:)

Been looking through this over the weekend and I have been trying a lot of weirdness (good thing I took backup of the config file before starting) I am still no closer I have been moving around stuff removing layers and so on, I would really like to have this solved myself. so I will look into it after work tomorrow. let me know if you solve it somehow.

Are you referring to ace-window or the problem @dwahyudi was having? Maybe you meant to quote something else.

There Should not be a quote there at all :slight_smile: fixed it.

Now you know how 90% of my bugs are made !

1 Like

Does anyone know how to get the shell (SPC ') to open in the project root, or the userā€™s own root? Currently it opens in the directory of whichever file you have open.

You need to override the default-directory variable. I discovered that byā€¦

1. Pressing C-h k SPC ' to learn SPC ' is bound to (spacemacs/default-pop-shell) which is defined in ../layers/+tools/shell/funcs.el.
  2. Opening the link to that file and seeing spacemacs/default-pop-shell calls the shell function.
  3. With the cursor over shell, press C-h f RET to see docs for shell.
  4. Notice mention of default-directory.

If ā€˜default-directoryā€™ is a remote file name, it is also prompted
to change if called with a prefix arg.

Hopefully all those keybindings work. Iā€™m currently using the hybrid keybinding mode since I donā€™t know many Vim commands yet.

Then I tinkered with ielm to come up with a strategy for calling shell with a custom default-directory and came up with:

(defun shell-in-directory (dir)
     (let ((default-directory dir))
       (shell)))

(shell-in-directory "/usr/local/bin")
;; opens a shell window at /usr/local/bin when evaluated

Let me know if you could use help integrating that with your keybindings.

2 Likes

Nice one - thanks @jmitchell :slight_smile:

Where would I put the above? When I put it in defun dotspacemacs/user-config or dotspacemacs/user-init and reload it it immediately opens a shell and when I close the shell window and try to open another with SPC ' it just ignores your code and opens it in the directory like it would have previously.

This part about default-directory suggests there may be a way to do this without adding any custom configuration, but I havenā€™t figured out how to pass the directory as a prefix argument in Spacemacs.

Iā€™m also not sure yet whether spacemacs/default-pop-shell would have to be patched to pass through the prefix argument to shell.