Strange argument error when calling List.to_tuple with a large list of ints

Hi, I have a ~200 MB binary file that I am trying to load into a tuple of ints. My previous code used the binary directly to get an int, like so:

def get_table() do
    File.read('data/HandRanks.dat')
end

def get_int(table, index) do
    :binary.part(table, {index * 4, 4})
    |> :binary.decode_unsigned(:little)
end

This code worked fine so and was reasonably performant but I wanted to test other methods of accessing the ints. There are around 32 million ints total in the file. First I built a list that contained all of the ints, starting from the end of the binary, then when done I tried to call List.to_tuple to convert to a tuple, like so:

def gen_tuple(table) do
    length = div(byte_size(table), @int_size)
    gen_tuple([], length - 1, table)
end
def gen_tuple(list, -1, _) do
    List.to_tuple(list)
end
def gen_tuple(list, current, table) do
    new_list = [get_int(table, current) | list]
    gen_tuple(new_list, current - 1, table)
end

with @int_size being 4. When I run my gen_tuple I get this error:

** (ArgumentError) argument error
:erlang.list_to_tuple([0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, …])

I’ve tried testing a few different things. The list is the correct size, and running things like length(list), Enum.slice, first(), last() on the list don’t throw errors and give the answers I would expect. is_list returns true, both for the elixir version and :erlang.is_list. If I use Enum.take to only use the first elements of the list to_tuple runs without error sometimes. I figured out that if the list is taken down to length 16,777,215 it can run without error. Anything with length 16,777,216 and above gives me the error. I sliced the list at that spot and didn’t notice anything improper. Element 16,777,215 is the number 24788 and the next element is the number 24792. I can even slice the list to take 50 or so elements in the middle that include this ‘problem spot’ and to_tuple runs fine, so I’m really confused about what is going on. The length of the list shouldn’t cause any problems, the list isn’t improper as far as I can tell, and the ‘problem element’ doesn’t seem to be a problem when it is part of a smaller list. Can anyone help me figure out what I’m doing wrong here? I get the feeling I’m missing something obvious!

In case anyone is feeling unreasonably helpful the binary file can be downloaded here: https://github.com/chenosaurus/poker-evaluator/raw/master/data/HandRanks.dat

If anyone is familiar with poker math, it’s the really awesome lookup table used in the 2+2 forum poker evaluator algorithm, used for lightning-fast poker hand evaluations.

1 Like

16,777,215 is 0xffffff (24 bits) and therefore probably marks a limit in your adressable space.

Current OTP version is documented to use 26 bits though. Perhaps your version does have a smaller limit?

2 Likes

Ah, thanks, that makes sense.

When I run elixir --version I get

$ elixir --version
Erlang/OTP 20 [erts-9.2.1] [source] [64-bit] [smp:4:4] [ds:4:4:10] [async-threads:10] [hipe] 
[kernel-poll:false] [dtrace]

Elixir 1.6.1 (compiled with OTP 20)

I installed through brew on MacOS. So is there anyway around this limitation, or is that going to be the maximum size of a tuple?

Thats probably the maximum, but to be honest, why a tuple and not a list or even keep it as a binary on the bin_heap?

Well a list doesn’t work well because I need O(1) random access. If I can’t use a tuple then keeping it as a binary will be the way to go. I just wanted to try to improve performance because it seemed that :binary.part() was being somewhat slow. Perhaps there is some way I can implement the get_int() function using pattern matching on the binary instead.

A list is O(N) access for read, so it suites your requirements :wink: I just assume you meant O(1) here :wink:

For read performance, I’d go for an ETS first, storing in the form {index, integer}. A NIF second which holds the raw data as an &[u32] (or equivalent type in the implementing language, this was rust) in memory and just accesses this array by a given index.

Ha yeah, I edited it to O(1) right after I posted, sorry about that. Okay, I’ll try the ETS table out next. A nif in C should be fairly easy, since I used the original C code to figure out how to use the lookup table, so I’ll try that as well.

I’m also going to see if there is some other way I can get a tuple to go up to the 26 bit limit, since that would give me plenty of room to spare. Even a slow way to generate the tuple is fine, since I only need to do it once.

Thanks for the help!

Perhaps using erlangs :array module might help as well. It nests tuples and has still o(1) read but is a bit heavier in memory foot print (probably smaller than an ETS though). The main culprit is, that with any form of non-ETS or non-binary you will need to copy the whole thing around when crossing the process-boundary. This alone would make me avoid anything but binary or ETS for this huge thing…

1 Like

Okay, I’ll test that one too. Yes, crossing the process-boundary would be a huge issue, but I was thinking of perhaps making a dedicated gen_server to handle the calls. I will definitely try out the ETS first though, along with perhaps trying to optimize way I access the binary.

One question I have though, if you have iex handy, could you try doing a call to :erlang.make_tuple(17_000_000, 0) to see if it’s just my system that seems to be limited to 24 bit tuple address space?

Erlang/OTP 20 [erts-9.2] [source] [64-bit] [smp:4:4] [ds:4:4:10] [async-threads:10] [hipe] [kernel-poll:false]

Interactive Elixir (1.6.1) - press Ctrl+C to exit (type h() ENTER for help)
iex(1)> :erlang.make_tuple(17_000_000, 0)
    :erlang.make_tuple(17000000, 0)
iex(1)> :erlang.make_tuple(0xFFFFFF, 0)  
{0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0,
 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, ...}
iex(2)> :erlang.make_tuple(0xFFFFFF + 1, 0)
    :erlang.make_tuple(16777216, 0)

and erl:

2> erlang:make_tuple(17000000, 0).
** exception error: bad argument
     in function  erlang:make_tuple/2
        called as erlang:make_tuple(17000000,0)
3> erlang:make_tuple(16#ffffff, 0).
{0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,...}
4> erlang:make_tuple(16#ffffff + 1, 0).
** exception error: bad argument
     in function  erlang:make_tuple/2
        called as erlang:make_tuple(16777216,0)
1 Like

Interesting! Perhaps erlang needs to update their docs here then:

http://erlang.org/doc/efficiency_guide/advanced.html#id71800

I filed an issue: https://bugs.erlang.org/browse/ERL-577

Isn’t it technically O(log(n))? IF you nest tuples it’s O(1) to get to a tuple, but then you may need to follow another pointer if it’s nested.

I think someone did the benchmark and maps w/ integer keys as positions wins out over :array these days.

That would make a really whopping heap for that process. Don’t try and send it in a message. :wink: It would be better to keep it in an ETS table or a binary and not as local data to a process.

4 Likes

Yeah, it is. Technically. But here n is not the position of the element but rather the size of the array overall.

So accessing the first or the last or any other element will “take the same time”. This is different to a list, where accessing the first element is instant while the last one will take as long as it needs to traverse the list.

Its very similar to a prefix-tree where access times are bound to the length of the key and not the size of the collection.

/me has a feeling he’s missing something…

Wouldn’t this be easily and efficiently done by just keeping it as a binary and doing something like:

def get_int(index, table) do
    index = index * 4 * 8
    <<_skip::integer-size(index), result::little-integer-size(32), _rest::binary>> = table
    result
  end
1 Like

Awesome, thanks! I’m still pretty new to elixir and I felt there might be a binary pattern-matching way to do it but I wasn’t sure. I’m definitely going to see how performant that is compared to the other methods.