Tagging all tests that use a particular case

I do use wallaby for acceptance/integration testing. These tests are somewhat longrunning (3 to 5 seconds each, depending on the machine) and I want to exclude them during regular testruns or at least exclude them explicitely easily for each run.

Therefore I have tagged them all explicitely with @tag :wallaby in code and are running my tests using mix test --exclude wallaby.

But this explicit annotation of the tests, clutters them:

test "Foo", do: assert true
test "the Truth", do: assert 1 == 1

vs.

@tag :wallaby
test "Foo", do: assert true
@tag :wallaby
test "the Truth", do: assert 1 == 1

So I am searching for a way in the corresponding Case-Template (which is used in all the testing modules) to tag all of these tests implicitely.

Is there an easy way to achieve this implicit tagging?

1 Like

I don’t recommend it, but you can mimic RSpec’s xit [1] :slight_smile:

defmodule XTest do
  defmacro xtest(message, var \\ quote(do: _), contents) do
    quote do
      @tag :skip
      test(unquote(message), unquote(var), unquote(contents))
    end
  end
end

defmodule FooTest do
  use ExUnit.Case
  import XTest

test "a" do
    assert 1 + 1 == 2
  end

xtest "b" do
    assert 1 + 1 == 3
  end
end

[1] https://relishapp.com/rspec/rspec-core/v/2-0/docs/pending/pending-examples#temporarily-pending-by-changing-“it”-to-“xit”

1 Like

I wanted to avoid to introduce a new macro for such tests, as you can easily forget to use that macro and use the default one instead, as you can forget to add @tag-annotations, and these ways to forget are the things I want to avoid.

1 Like

are you using wallaby with use YourApp.AcceptanceCase [1]? If so, you can probably add @moduletag :wallaby just below that line. This should work unless you mix other test types (e.g. non-acceptance) in the same module. I don’t know if there’s a way to put @moduletag into AcceptanceCase module to further DRY it up.

[1] https://github.com/keathley/wallaby#writing-tests

2 Likes

@moduletag seems sufficient, I haven’t seen it in the docs though.

2 Likes