Test [lack of] BasicAuth

I’ve taken on a small contract where there is no need for anything more than basic auth.

Thanks to this very nice tutorial—which is slightly outdated but trivially adaptable since basic_auth is now a part of Plug—I’ve been able to get my basic-auth-protected-LiveView tests running.

My problem came about when I went to write a test to ensure that basic auth was doing its job. Calling live(conn, ~p"/admin") in a test that doesn’t authorize results in:

** (FunctionClauseError) no function clause matching in Phoenix.LiveViewTest.connect_from_static_token/2

I started spelunking through LiveView’s source to figure out a sane way to test this, but instead I decided to move on and came up with this janky-ass solution which relies on live/2 throwing that FunctionClauseError:

# Implicitly left out here is that there is no setup that performs
# basic auth as per the linked blog post.  This is made clear by
# the rest of the tests calling a `setup :login`.

test "needs basic auth to view the page", %{conn: conn} do
  try do
    live(conn, ~p"/admin")

refute "Admin page is not protected"
  rescue
    e in FunctionClauseError ->
      assert e.function == :connect_from_static_token
      assert e.arity == 2
  end
end

Not my finest moment but it also gets the job done. Still, I’m wondering if anyone has come across this before and came up with something better.

Thanks for reading!

I thought the Auth code generated by the phoenix auth generator is the most basic!

And it even generates the tests for it.

See:

https://hexdocs.pm/phoenix/mix_phx_gen_auth.html

Hey @derpycoder, thanks for the response but I am very well-versed in phx_gen_auth. There will be literally one person using this app so Basic Auth is all I want or need.

1 Like

I would test as if it isn’t a liveview and do something like:

test "GET /", %{conn: conn} do
    conn = get(conn, ~p"/")

{_header_name, header_value} = List.keyfind(conn.resp_headers, "www-authenticate", 0)
    assert conn.status == 401
    assert header_value =~ "Basic"
  end
4 Likes

It’s perfect! Thank you :smiley: