Unreal Engine

I’m creating this topic to talk about everything Unreal Engine. One of my biggest interests in software development and programming is Computer Graphics, but unfortunately I only know the very basics of the area.

For those that don’t know, Unreal Engine is a game engine developed by Epic Games (Unreal, Unreal Tournament, Gears of War) and it’s widely regarded as one of the best engines ever. Right now it’s at version 4 (4.11 very active development of course), and soon a lot of the games you’ll play will probably be using this engine.

Unreal Engine 4 is free for everyone, until you start making a decent amount of money with it, then you’ll need to pay Epic Games a royalty. Not only for games, but UE4 is also becoming popular for animated movies and architectural visualization (due to the engine’s ease to present very high fidelity, photograph-like graphics).

Games can be developed in UE4’s own C++ (it has its own library and syntax) or through the innovative “Blueprints” method, that enables a developer to build a game without any programming at all.

What is Unreal Engine 4
Paragon - One of the first games to use the engine
Loft in London Tech Demo - Architectural Visualization example
GDC 2016 Unreal Engine 4 Games Reel

1 Like

Wow that London loft demo looks amazing - I wonder what the specs on the machine was and how much ram and disk space was needed.

1 Like

Probably doesn’t require that amazing of a machine. Unreal Engine was always famous for being really optimized. I’ve used UE4 before and also played the new Unreal Tournament (currently in Alpha stage) and it ran with pretty much everything maxed out on my okayish laptop.

Also, it’s just a tech demo of a very static “level”. Achieving that kind of graphics in a regular game with lots of stuff moving around, several AI’s that need to be computed and other things that would generate a great deal of overhead would be much more complicated.

@AstonJ if you’re interested, the new Unreal Tournament is free. You just need to download the Unreal Launcher and install it, but it’s still in a very early stage and only has two complete maps IIRC.

1 Like

My teachers user UE for game development, it’s awesome, I personally use Unity :slight_smile:

1 Like