Videos vs Articles, what do you prefer?

I don’t think you and I read the same articles. Very simple Google searches yield very quality blog articles filled with step-by-step experiments and demonstrations that make it easy to onboard anyone

I like articles who get to the point and are not kilometers long. Unfortunately, most articles are just too long and contain useless information. I don’t need a 500 words intro to something, etc.

BTW, I apply those rules to videos too. That’s why I stopped watching most conference talks, 60 minutes of talk, with maybe 10 minutes of interesting stuff.

2 Likes

All of what you say is true and I judge text articles on exactly the same criteria. I assumed wrongly that yours was an argument against articles. Sorry.

Well, if I can, I do prefer videos so my argument was kind of against articles. Articles that match my criteria are fine tho.

For general and package releated topics, I like step by step articles. Easy to apply and easy to modify for owner when somethings outdate.

But for linking more general programing concepts i prefer videos. Because most of articles assume reader has already experience with smilar technologies, but as a intermediate programmer mostly i need to see how to implement in practice.

2 Likes

Your post remind me RailsCasts (forget the Rails part, the method is effected, ask Rails folks)

1 Like

So your goal produce some contents as railcasts or informations for some packages ?

Ruby pickaxe book was the first ultimate book about Ruby in English. Without it, there would be no Rails.

Rails folks also read books written by M. Hartl, Obie Fernandez, DHH, Yukihiro Matz, etc.

M. Hartl’s book is the de facto standard of Rails tutorial for beginners.

2 Likes

10% or 20% retention is hardly “learning” - in a software development context that barely establishes an “awareness” of the technology or methodology potentially clarifying some of the more high-level concepts. Learning comes from applied practice (which moves you to “Practice by Doing”) and the starting point is often “guided practice”.

Articles, books, and videos can be used as “quasi-guides” (in the absence of mentors) through introductory practice - and the effectiveness of a particular medium will largely depend on the target audience.

However I don’t think that it is a coincidence that many successful applied courses use mixed media. In my experience video is often used to give an overview of the material that lies ahead in order to create a superficial sense of familiarity with the topic. Then written prose is used to explore the material in much more detail, encouraging you to work along (rather than just read) and potentially do supplementary exercises.

None of that actually has any bearing if you simply want to make videos - but it does come across as if you are trying to justify the choice after the fact. It’s your time and effort - do what you want.

2 Likes

Nope, never even heard of railscasts before? ^.^;

A mix would not at all be bad, that’s what I hinted at prior, as long as the text document has everything and the video only shows the steps that are written.

Hmm, seems fairly clear to me. It could potentially use more examples of use-cases and so forth, but as for a quick jump-in it seems quite clear. Something I always intend to do but that I don’t do that would be good here is linking the functions being used to their documentation entries so they are described in detail, or at the very least describing more in detail of ‘how’ they are doing what they do and not just ‘what’. :slight_smile:

Yeah this is a great point!

I don’t really look for videos so I don’t often see them as the only documentation, rather I will often see just ‘no documentation’ instead… ^.^;

Might just be me, but making such videos sounds more difficult to me. It’s near impossible to edit it and proofread and all piecemeal in comparison…

+1

Transcriptions don’t make for good articles. I exceptionally hate reading a, for example, interview or conversation transcoded into text, it is just horrible read and concentrate on… :frowning:

Hence embed little example snippets into an article that demonstrate what is being taught. :wink:

Never in my experience. Watching a video for me might clarify some time-based demonstration for me, but text is substantially more clear overall.

Oh I hate those as videos! I convert them to a properly formatted recipe card (of which mine are wonderfully formatted and detailed, I should post them up sometime as I eat low-carb and invented most of my recipes). :slight_smile:

Yeah those are the ones that I speak of that suck, like many Medium articles.

Wow that should never be the case! I read for literal days at a time without sleep without issues. If I really want I can put on my glasses (I ‘barely’ can use them) which eases any strain I have but they are still entirely optional for me. My wife reads even more than I and she always uses her glasses, sounds like you might need a new prescription, it’s important to check that!

One of my favorite emoticons! ^.^
Though as a textual emoticon most often: ;-) (which this forum often breaks into a weirdly non-standard big-forhead looking emoji of :wink: )

I’ve never had an issue finding such an article/blog/manual on anything even remotely popular (and even non-popular ones).

As would I, even my young family members of age 11 that live on the junk youtube prank videos still prefer text when learning compared to videos as they “just don’t understand what they are saying”.

Oh hey, the average Medium article! ^.^;

That is why I love embedded interpreters ala Klipse like on my blog so you can read and test what you are reading at the same time without many windows!

2 Likes