What are the caching strategies in Phoenix?

Indeed. Cachex is much more actively maintained as well as more feature rich, so that’s what I’d recommend first.

ConCache happened organically. I needed it for production with exactly those features, and it is a third incarnation of the caching library (the first two were close sourced), applying the lessons learned from the previous attempts. It behaved very well for that scenario. I didn’t have a need for such caching since that project (which I left 4 years ago), so due to the lack of real needs and the lack of spare time, ConCache hasn’t progressed since then, save for an occasional contribution.

ConCache is currently not abandoned, although I wonder whether we need two caching solutions in the Elixir community. At first glance, it seems that there’s a lot of overlap between these two libraries. When I find the time I’ll study cachex in more details, and see if it makes sense to decommission ConCache in favour of cachex. In case anyone else has already compared the two, I’d be happy to hear your thoughts.

17 Likes