What are the main benefits of Elixir compared to Clojure?

I think is always good to learn new languages because you can have different points of view on how solving problems.

IMO. Learning erlang / BEAM would make someone better in Elixir because this one would know what happens behind the scenes.

For the record, here’s a good tl;dr on BEAM vs JVM
http://ds.cs.ut.ee/courses/course-files/To303nis%20Pool%20.pdf

1 Like

that means of course that, when you change an opinion, a new you is ceated…
Gladly it shares everything else, structurally, with your old yourself.

3 Likes

In the words of Ken Tilton:

Parentheses? What parentheses? I haven’t noticed any parentheses since my first month of Lisp programming. I like to ask people who complain about parentheses in Lisp if they are bothered by all the spaces between words in a newspaper…

5 Likes

Why is so complicated to talk to other developers? I am not complaining about anything. It’s just my opinion. I don’t think I should waste time discussing if fork is better than spoon. They are both tools and that’s it. Use what you need.

He didn’t really say you were complaining.

1 Like

Right, sorry. I should have emphasized the first part of the quote. The point of the quote is that, after a while of programming in Lisp, the parentheses become invisible. You get used to them, especially with a good editor.

But yes, the parens are a feature. It’s not so much that lispers like parens as much as they like the benefits of using s-expressions. Note how Clojure introduced square brackets and curly braces, but kept the s-expressions. (Unlike, say Dylan, which tossed out sexprs for a more ALGOL-like syntax.)

3 Likes

Thank you for clarifying. I am sorry too.

1 Like

Have you ever worked with Leiningen?
Maven repo download speed?
Clojure stack trace?
Java-Clojure interop and its type syntax?
JVM startup time?
Missing parentheses?
JVM 8 and 12 incompatibility?

And so on…

I have so much scar about clojure, but when it works, it works.

As to answer of the benefit of elixir, is I don’t have to deal with those pain.

1 Like

I’ll see your Clojure stack trace and rais you a Scala/Play stack trace :laughing:

I’m C# programmer by profession and I don’t know much about Clojure but knowing it runs on top of JVM, this video explains benefits of BEAM that Elixir runs top of and why it’s so great compared to JVM and .NET VMs.

I can use clojerl and get all of that.

I don’t like parentheses, you like parentheses. It’s fine.

It’s not a matter of taste.

Well, I think we discussed parentheses enough, let’s not make it too big of a thing now :slight_smile:

I did not know clojerl, interesting!

2 Likes

Can it give you access to Elixir’s macros though? They are a very important selling point of Elixir.

You get lisp macros, not sure if you can use Elixir’s without some sugar but it might be doable.

Yes please. I don’t know why people get fixing on I what I said.

I think popularity matters and it’s great that there is project like cloerl, but I think it’s very hard to get into that point where language is popular on a platform and Elixir has been able to do that. Some JVM languages have been able to do that as well. I’m not sure if there are any language for .NET except C#, Visual Basic and F# and all those are from Microsoft.
I hope cloerl gets to that point but currently who would want to use it in serious business project?

1 Like