What does esbuild mean for my current applications using Webpack?

I have a few phoenix apps I work on now that are all using webpack. Some are single page apps (React, Vue) and others are light on the JS (sprinkles).

I’m not a fan of webpack but since it is easily Google-able I’ve accepted this tradeoff. If I run into any issues I know I can Google it and find the top 3 answers/examples and pick the one I’m most comfortable with.

I am not a frontend build expert (and honestly, I’d prefer to remain so focusing my time on writing product features). I have not had to touch the webpack code in any of the projects in at least a year (feels like much longer as I don’t even remember what it looks like :sweat_smile: :clap: ) . That’s pretty cool.

Does anyone know what a move to esbuild means from the perspective of:

1. Will I need to migrate from webpack and how much pain will be involved in the process?
  2. If I don’t migrate the asset build infrastructure to esbuild will that be detrimental to any future upgrades of phoenix?

Thank you

2 Likes

You don’t have to migrate. The Phoenix framework knows nothing about webpack, esbuild, etc. It is just a couple files that exist in your generated app and nowhere else.

4 Likes