What other languages interest you?

• elm
  • idris
  • rust
4 Likes

I just read about Futhark yesterday. It looks awesome and I really like the use of GPU’s.

2 Likes

I am all about Elixir these days. I use Elm once in a while.

I am interested in:
Haskell for the pure functions;
Elisp for configuring my editor, and lisp in general for everything is an expression;
Rust for something I could build realtime systems in;
Pony because everyone seems to talk about it;
Julia because I want to get more into math.

I guess it is more about the paradigms. One of the first Erlang talks I attended was by Torben Hoffman and he started out with the question: «Who in this room agree to the notion that one should use the right tool for the job»; everybody raised their hand, and he continued «put down your hand if you know less than three programming languages that you are equally confident programming in», only few people kept their hand up. That was when I seriously started browsing for something else than Node.js :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I’m interested in the following:

Kotlin
Javascript Framework: (Vue.js, Meteor)
Swift
Elm
and get stronger in Python

1 Like

Interested and actively doing something:

• Ruby: My daily work is done with this so I try to keep up here. Also my main weapon now so… :wink:
  • Elixir: I’m adding this to my toolbelt as a natural next step. Also I’m starting to be interested in distributed systems and this seems a nice language.

Interested although doing less:

• Clojure: There are a ton of different interesting libraries here to learn a ton of concepts.
  • Elm: Seems like a really interesting paradigm.

Interested but I don’t have enough attention:

• Rust
  • Haskell
  • Idris
1 Like

+1. At the very least, learn how to convert Erlang to Elixir, which is not hard. That way, you would have access to all the Erlang books.

3 Likes

Pearl
Ruby
Java :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Elm
Haskell
Scala
Ruby

:heart:

3 Likes

And what is Your opinion on F#? Especially after MS open sourcing everything now and targeting Linux/MAC with .NET Core?

3 Likes

I think F# is very interesting language, more functional than Scala and it has pipe |> operator :smiley:
The drawback I don’t know how much you can do in pure F# and how much you need know other Microsoft stack and how mature platform is on Linux.
You can use F# in https://www.xamarin.com/

https://www.functionalgeekery.com/episode-35-rachel-reese

2 Likes

Article Is your programming language unreasonable?

1 Like

Elm will be next for me

2 Likes

That said, I’m more interested in the older langauges_ like Lisp, Scheme, Prolog and ML. There are many outstanding books that have stood the test of time that use these languages.

I’m currently reading Lisp In Small Pieces (notice the recursive acronym!) and just being blown away by how much depth the book goes into.

4 Likes

Just wanted to give people who are interested in Elm a heads up. Manning is working on an Elm book called Elm in Action. It is a MEAP, but I don’t think it has been added to their website yet. I’m part of their Reviewer program and received an e-mail as to which book I’d like to review next and Elm in Action was one of the choices.

Can’t wait to review the book. :slight_smile:

8 Likes

You can stay in pure F# until you need to use objects in the .NET framework. Which is to say that it will happen quite often. There are times where it will feel like there is a little impedance mismatch like when you have to account for the difference between statements and expressions. But for the most part, working between pure F# and OO is pretty seemless, like using the pipe operator with methods on objects. Using static classes will feel like you are using Module.function syntax but you pick up some features like multi-method dispatch through method overloading.

It’s a great language, but I’m also a big fan of syntax from the ML family of languages as much as I am a fan of elixir’s syntax. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

ML syntax is super awesome :). I think this is the reason so many people like fronted Elm language as pure script.

2 Likes

Since you like ML syntax as well, you might want to keep an eye on facebook’s Reason project. https://facebook.github.io/reason/. Facebook is finally open sourcing it. It was an ocaml based internal language that they were using to generate javascript.

5 Likes

Very interesting. Reason discussion on Reddit

3 Likes

http://www.luna-lang.org/

5 Likes

Before at various times used: C++, D, TCL, Perl, VB, Go, PHP, JS/Node , TypeScript
After Elixir plan on learning Rust

2 Likes