LOL! There are trees, tries … clearly trash should be a totally legit name. \o/

3 Likes

After Elixir i like to use following…

• Elm
  • Haskell
  • Rust
  • Erlang
1 Like

Interest as in “would like to learn”? I might be on a Rust project soon, so that, and after I get more comfy with FP I’d like to check out Elm so maybe I can do front-end stuff in a saner language that JavaScript. :slight_smile: As for other languages I use, mostly Ruby in the past several years, preceded by a year of mostly ActionScript (with a little Ruby and JS thrown in), another year of Perl (with a little Ruby and Python thrown in and tons of bash scripting), and then a couple decades of mostly Plain Old C, with scattererd bits of Java, JavaScript, Python, assorted versions of BASIC, Pascal, FORTRAN, assorted assemblers, assorted OS- or package-specific scripting languages, and probably a few I’m forgetting offhand. Oh, and as for languages other than programming languages, HTML and CSS of course, JSON, SQL, XML… and Spanish and Japanese. :wink:

2 Likes

Trash is indeed the name of a data structure, though not from Elixir (or generic). See https://github.com/intridea/hashie.

2 Likes

I highly recommend Rust. :slight_smile:

Also, instead of Elm, maybe Bucklescript? It is growing fast. ^.^

1 Like
  • Elm
  • Go
1 Like

Nice to meet another Java developer. I can share my pain with you haha :slight_smile:

2 Likes

My current two are

• Rust
  • More Erlang
1 Like

You can embed a Rust libraryprogram as a nif/port etc. too. ^.^

2 Likes

@OvermindDL1 wow that’s cool!

I haven’t done a huge amount in Rust yet but man do I keep getting bit by lifetimes/ownership!

That seems to be what I keep hearing from everyone. I come from C++ and I’ve already been doing similar things as Rusts ownership system via proper typing in C++ so I slipped into it very easily. I keep getting bit on the lack of HKT’s and such of Rust (though I hear it is ‘coming soon’, whenever ‘soon’ is. ^.^).

Ah yes I come from the opposite end of the scale, C#/Javascript mainly with a few other things such as python/ruby for fun in my spare time.

Although I did enjoy some time I spent with Go, but the community is it’s biggest let down in my opinion :icon_sad:

1 Like

Ahh, yeah there is no real concept of maintainable and safe programming in those languages. I love Python, great for little shell scripts, but I would never ever put anything big or important in it, ditto with .NET or the JVM. Might I recommend learning Rust, Haskell/OCaml, Lisp, and FORTH, they each bring a unique programming style that will help in programming everywhere else. :slight_smile:

Yeah I have the same issue with the Elm community, hence why I’m swinging over to bucklescript, it may be a better language than Elm but with a near identical syntax (OCaml), but the community is awesome in comparison. Elm has a few very loud and vocal people that basically put down everyone in a variety of ways (things like “you are trying to abstract things out? Well Don’t” without saying why or how, to things like “Don’t make reusable things that pass back any kind of state at all”, again without saying why or how else it should be done, they either give trivial examples that do not fulfill the use-case or just go quiet with no answer), it itches me very badly the wrong way. >.>

On the other hand, the OCaml, C++, Rust, etc… communities are utterly and beyond fantastic in my experience. ^.^

1 Like

I’m getting less and less interested in Elm as they take away Haskell/ML syntax to make it ““easier””. I might look into Buckle, but PureScript is pretty cool but rough around the edges in terms of tooling (but hey the compiler can do dead code elimination!).

1 Like

Eh, they never added in the syntax to begin with, problem is that it makes certain things categorically impossible, which does bug me.

PureScript is based more on Haskell, which means HKT’s, which means slow compiling. OCaml/Bucklescript uses HPT’s (and soon implicits!, which will reduce the HPT code needed to practically nothing), which means fast compiling, I like fast compilers. ^.^

1 Like

They removed primes (myFun'), infixes, and there are proposals for removing foldr/foldl and just having a since reduce as well as other like it D: Small stuff, but it’s a precedent.

Yeah that bugs me, I like primes in characters, although I’d be good with a language to not have them, another useful character for another string type or something (/me coughs).

I think that’s been pretty well shot down though. ^.^

My “want to learn” list so far, by order of importance

Rust
Elm
Haskell (i come from Caml, should not be too hard)
Clojure
Scala

1 Like

using at work swift and elixir
interested in ES6 and kotlin. I really hope to move from java for android…

1 Like

C
C++
C#
Rust
and I really want to find a use for Swift.

1 Like