Which linux distro are you using?

Arch/Antergos for me. I have never enjoyed an OS as much as with them. Arch wiki solved 99% of all issues I have had. And is one of the main reasons along with stability, control and rolling releases.

1 Like

Bash on Ubuntu on Windows

2 Likes

https://neon.kde.org/

2 Likes

I am using CentOS, RedHat, Oracle Linux.

Fedora 25 at home.

My server are trying to stay out of linux.

Ubuntu 16.04 with i3 desktop (best tiling wm!)

Them’s fightin’ words, son. XMonad is where it’s at, of course. :smiley:

2 Likes

XMonad has better keyboard controls, I3 has better generic mouse/keyboard controls.

1 Like

I’m not 100% sure but I think Antergos is to Arch what the xBuntu variety (e.g. Lubuntu, Kubuntu, etc.) are to Ubuntu, that is to say, it’s the same code base, same build with different bells and whistles (which is why Antergos can, and does, use Arch’s repositories).

These same reasoning is, as far as I understood it, why Manajaro is not compatible with Arch’s repositories and maintains repos of its own: it’s an Arch-clone, but with too many changes to the core that break the 100% compatibility.

Arch Linux, definitely check it out and I just posted about it here.

2 Likes

Nice article.
I am wondering, have you ever had any problem after system update on Arch ? If so is it easy to fix without backup? :slight_smile:
PS
If I want to have different versions of postgres I just download appropriate docker container, so I think this is not issue with other distros.

I am not using long enough to have experienced problems, but exactly one of the benefits of Arch is that different from major distros, with major system upgrades, Arch employs a “rolling upgrade” scheme, where packages keep being upgrade to the latest stable all the time. So there is no such a thing as a big upgrade from Ubuntu 14.04 to Ubuntu 16.04 or Fedora 24 to 25, for example, Arch is always “latest”.

1 Like

I had a problem once in 15 months - I can’t imagine how but an intel microcode update got somehow corrupted - so after the update the system failed to boot. I put a fresh Arch ISO on a USB drive booted from it and downgraded the file. Rebooted successfully - ran the upgrade again (i.e. the file in the package repository wasn’t at fault) and everything was back in working order.

1 Like

Yes I know little about Arch as fan of http://www.jupiterbroadcasting.com/tag/linux-action-show/ :slight_smile:

Also have a look over https://bbs.archlinux.org/

Linux Mint 18 (Standard/Cinnamon Edition) - which is based on Ubuntu 16.04 LTS

• easy to use, totally batteries included
  • on a similar base as my servers (given you use Ubuntu servers and the current LTS)
  • wide availability of FAQs and PPAs etc. due to Ubuntu base

Was the first Linux distribution I ever installed on one of my computers back with Linux Mint 7 - never had to go anywhere else :slight_smile:

I’m using Manjaro with i3wm.

Uhh, aren’t there hash checks to prevent issues like that like deb’s use?

I don’t know how the corruption happened and why it wasn’t detected - maybe some heisenbug with the Samsung SSD (and/or my partitioning) manifested itself.

I actually tried Linux Mint first - but it would regularly freeze at the boot screen or a bit later in the session. Arch let me build up the installation bit-by-bit - which pointed me towards the dual graphics being the problem. Once I knew that, I could blacklist the default driver and install Bumblebee instead.

1 Like

Which Linux Mint was that? Newer editions (I think 17.2+ or something ) come with default nvidia dual/switch graphics support. Clement purchased a laptop with an nvidia optimus as he got tired of the bugs and decided to fix it and keep it tested :slight_smile: