While we are talking about databases... how can we encourage development/maintenance of other adapters?

I am going to run the risk of sounding like a mean, spiteful person. But keep in mind that is not my intention.

I have had people ask various questions about the mongodb and mongodb_ecto packages that I maintain (what about feature X? When will bug Y be fixed? What about the most recent version of ecto/mongo? etc.) Don’t get me wrong, I don’t get upset or anything when people ask about any of this. But very few people seem willing to chip in.

The following is the main quote from the mongo thread you linked.

I admit that there is lots to do, but it is subpar because it has largely been a single person working on it at any given time. Just look at the contributors list. Eric started the project, then I took over when he no longer needed it.

There isn’t any real solution to this other than people need to do the work. There may be ways to incentivise people. Feature/bug/package bounties may be a good way to do so. Unfortunately that may lead to a lot of low quality packages that address a very specific need and not open to customization. The same thing may happen with feature and bug bounties. If I put up some money for something and someone implements something that technically works, but is of low quality, I probably will not want to give out the money because it is an unmaintainable mess.

I don’t think this problem is unique to database drivers and adapters.

4 Likes