Who is currently developing with Elixir at work?

I’m currently an undergraduate student, and so far I’ve used Elixir in four pieces of coursework! I’ve used Phoenix in three of those (two with Postgres and one with Neo4j) to create web APIs (including using Channels in the latest piece with a Heroku deployment). The fourth piece of coursework is just a plain mix app, where it looks into parallelism in Elixir by rendering fractals across different numbers of processes with different slicing modes (horizontal, vertical, and grid).

After leaving university (in one month’s time), I intend on co-founding a startup with my friend, and we will almost definitely be using Elixir :wink:

10 Likes

Nice one - keep us posted :023:

1 Like

I have some python scripts that help audit my company’s AWS accounts. I am working on porting those over to elixir.

4 Likes

I am developing a centralized provisioning system, with clients (Elixir nodes) across the network where I work.
I am doing mostly in my free time in job, but I think that my boss will find it useful and replace the actual architecture with Ansible.

2 Likes

We’re got elixir in prod for a small event aggregation system.

Multiple Sites -> Sidekiq -> Elixir + exq -> pg

Works well, has been in prod for a few months now, handling about 500k events/day. We’re now working a phoenix app that will centralise another set of events from multiple sites, and hope to get that live in a month or so.

2 Likes

We’ve started playing around with Elixir for two small projects in our Data Warehouse team at work; a chat bot, and a metadata management system (wherein end users can tag certain data with labels if it matches their desired filtering criteria).

It’s still a very new thing, so we’ll see where it goes – but looks good so far! User management, and even LDAP authentication, was pretty easy to put in place, and I’m sure we’ll add realtime features at some point; things like seeing a notification if someone else is editing the same entry, etc.

1 Like

Doing a demo project for a networked application with it.

1 Like

We use Elixir almost exclusively at Inverse.com for our backend services.

The only prominent exception is our front-end, which is a stateless node.js app (with no database or other persistence layer) that runs on mithril (similar to React). We use node.js only to do server-side rendering. The same code that renders an article in the browser pre-renders it for performance reasons on the server.

We recently switched our entire content creation tool (some would call it a CMS) to use web-sockets. To have the same code serve REST (presentation-) and power our web-socket-based CMS is extremely valuable.

4 Likes

We’re rewriting most of the codebase from Rails to Elixir/Phoenix at clubcollect.com. Very much enjoying Phoenix and Ecto so far.

3 Likes

I was just going to ask if anyone had done a rewrite from Rails to Phoenix. How is that going? What are the gotchas? Are you able to use the same schema mostly, or do you have to make tweaks?

1 Like

When we were re-writing our app from Rails we kept the same schema. There was one issue with the schema_migrations table that Rails had generated. I’ll have to dig up exactly what it was but IIRC it was as simple as changing the type for the column to a type that was compatible with Ecto.

Other then that we didn’t have any issues.

2 Likes

We wrote an internal app to track our company’s shuttle bus. You can see where the bus is, request a pickup, the driver can acknowledge that he’s on the way, etc… Websockets + ephemeral data + Phoenix FTW!

1 Like

Not my company but I know there are folks at Quicken Loans in Detroit using Elixir for prod work.

2 Likes

Sounds like Brian Cardarella is trying to collect reports of Rails-to-Phoenix rewrites:

https://twitter.com/bcardarella/status/723524258845040644

4 Likes

I’ve been working with Elixir at my day job for a year now. I worked with Josh Adams of Elixir Sip fame until he left Isootpe11 to do dailydrips. What a cool guy. I’ve had much joy expousing the gospel to my fellow coworkers and every day I’m getting better at it.

I’m currently writing a Geolocation heavy with Postgis and Ecto API social networking application.

3 Likes

Old thread but related, I use Elixir at my day job, making back-end web systems.

1 Like

Any live sites that you can share a link to with us @OvermindDL1? :003:

Heh, sadly there is only a single public-facing area but it does not do much, you have to be logged in via the on-campus Wi-Fi to access anything more than the login and front pages. I integrated the login system with our LDAP (non-Windows) server for all access via site and Wi-Fi login (and I can even regulate who can access from which AP, for how long, and even throttle their speed, there is a surprising amount of control on this new Wi-Fi system we are now installing, I built the interfaces between it and everything else in Elixir as well).

1 Like

Our back-end stack for the Intelligent Management and Analysis of our intelligent high-frequency pressure sensors in water distribution networks is built in Elixir. The architecture makes lots of use of OTP principles to manage virtual things of our domain as GenServer’s as they offer a good model for concurrent processing and isolated failure. These virtual domain things are additionally modelled as Aggregates (in a DDD sense) and we use Event Sourcing to capture the state changes of them into a Graph DB which allows us the ability to query and infer matters of causality and correlation. The sensors communicate over GPRS using a custom protocol over TCP/IP which we encode/decode using Google Protocol Buffers and we make heavy use of QuickCheck tests using EQC-Ex to validate this.

We are currently researching Electron as our front-end tech onto our Elixir and Phoenix channels at the back-end - we don’t yet envisage using Phoenix for the front-end development (not due to concerns about Phoenix at all but due to our Customer’s browser’s landscape being huge and also outdated!)

We will be getting out a lot more to talk about this later this year and early next year as we settle into production. One of our team will be at ElixirConf in September too.

Inflowmatix

3 Likes

Electron is very cool. We are doing some client work with Electron and I am absolutely happy with it. If you can avoid outdated browser issues by providing an installable “desktop” client then that’s defo the way to go.

1 Like