Whoseturn.to / Simple shared to do list tracking

whoseturn.to

This is just a personal toy project, with all the implied caveats, that I have been hacking on in my meager spare time for the last couple of years as a way to learn Elixir, Phoenix, and most recently LiveView. I decided to finally share it even though it’s really not more than a demo (I don’t really have the design/FE skills to make it more than that currently), since I have been using it with some friends and no longer have any high priority features to add. Maybe if other find it useful they can let me know what they’d like to be able to do.

The site’s raison d’etre, besides personal enjoyment/skill-building, was that i wanted a way to share a todo list for recurring (as opposed to one time) tasks, based on the idea that chores should “belong” to a team, not an individual, and that everyone should be responsible for, not only doing crap no one wants to do, but also remembering it needs to be done. In other words, the idea is to move the emotional labor of chore tracking from an individual in the group (or pair) to the site itself, and then to motivate and reward actually doing the chore regularly, of course.

There are probably lots of other tools that could serve this purpose, but at the time I started none of them had the set of features I wanted:

• Simplicity
  • Flexible reliable notifications to mobile
  • Tracking
  • Badges/award system

Some technical points:

• I extracted the last two and created Elixir libraries for them (see my post history)
  • Hosted on render.com
  • Composed of an majestically unholy patchwork of jQuery, Vue, and LiveView

I’m keeping it closed source for now, but if anyone has any questions about the code involved, let me know. I’d be happy to share.

4 Likes