Why doesn't Elixir support standard operator overloading?

Yeah, the reasons have been spelled out well in this thread. I honestly asked because if there is something I have come to expect from this language, it’s that the decisions always seem to have really solid reasoning, even where it doesn’t jive with my personal tastes. I figured from the start there were legit philosophical and technical reasons for it and looking through the mailing lists made that clear enough.

Yeah. Honestly, I kinda wish I hadn’t even brought that up. It was just me talking about how I like the way Ruby can be written, especially for a non-programmer. I don’t think Elixir would be better for it, but I also think it’s still fine to appreciate what other languages can do. It turned into… a fixation I didn’t intend in the conversation.

I think anyone who has been programming for very long knows how important precision is with dates. We all have horror stories, lol. The system I am working on right now is a real beast if you’re not extremely careful about bloody time zones!

This was the main thing I came for because that was the bug I hit. No warning. No nothing. And I know why it’s that way.

And hey, since I have you here… I love Elixir! It’s what I use professionally. I was a long time Rubyist (about 12 years) and I made the move. I still miss some bits but there’s no going back. You and your team have done such a good job with both the language and community. I can’t tell you how much it’s improved my work and me as a programmer.

I am continuously humbled by your ability to address even hostile comments with incredible wisdom and humility. I appreciate you taking the time to comment. Seriously.

21 Likes