Your Elixtory - how did you get into Elixir?

Uncle Bob Martin :slight_smile:
The whole talk is amazing!

3 Likes

I was researching web frameworks, concluded that Rails was the best then heard Elixir & Phoenix was better! Rest is history

2 Likes

I was just about to post a ā€˜Your Elixtoryā€™ thread - then thought I must have already posted something similar :lol: and I had! So giving this a quick bump for all our new members - how did you get into Elixir? Where has it led you? :smiley:

1 Like

I credit/blame Dave Thomas. I had bought his Programming Ruby book early and it served me well. He has great taste in languages. Iā€™d seen JosĆ© tweet about Elixir, but I really wanted to hear what he had to say about Rails. But when I learned Dave was motivated to write Programming Elixir I immediately bought it in beta in early 2013. Elixir was at version 0.9 or earlier. Iā€™ve been hooked ever since.

2 Likes

As a hobby project was working towards a portable ā€œweb arcadeā€, basically a micro-controller would host various JavaScript games that you could play in your browser in a local network. There was no backend (aside from the uC serving the webpage).

In the meantime discovered elixir and thought it would work great as a backend for local phone multiplayer games. Invested in the language and a year later I was at elixir conf taking the nerves workshop. After the workshop I asked for advice to an experienced member of the communityā€¦ said something in the lines of ā€œPut attention mostly to OTP, the nerves project and make a game out of itā€.

It seems I was not that lost :grin: and now fully invested in the languageā€™s ecosystem.

2 Likes

It was a dark and cold night back in summer 2013ā€¦ I had decided I wanted to learn functional programming and I stumbled upon Erlang, and it piqued my interest with its distribution and fault tolerance features (I had studied distributed systems in university the year before). I spoke about this on IRC and a friend suggested this new language called Elixir. It was love at first sightā€¦ Been excited about Elixir ever since. It was something like 0.10 back then, and it has come so far!

2 Likes

I was looking for a language that made me more productive than C# and less error prone than JavaScript, so here I am, also I was looking for a language that manages concurrency well. After comparing Go and Elixir, I concluded that Elixir is a very underrated technology, despite the performance provided by Go (also I dislike its syntax a lot).

One year and half later, Iā€™m still happy with the change for personal projects. However, Iā€™m not totally in, the job market here is very small.

3 Likes

I had written a TCP NAT traversal solution in Ruby using EventMachine, to run alongside a Rails API server. It worked ok-ish for demo use with very little load, except that it crashed with a different exception every two weeks. We were toying with the idea of making it part of the production setup, and this obviously wasnā€™t going to fly.

So I rewrote the whole thing in Erlang in one day, and it ran flawlessly for months at noticeably higher throughput and lower latency. Then I saw the Elixir public announcement, so I rewrote it again to make it more accessible for my coworkers. This must have been Elixir v0.5: no Mix, no Hex, no maps, no structs, ā€¦ but it worked beautifully, of course.

6 Likes

I was learning Javascript on Udemy, and stumbled upon Stephen Grider. Amazed at his teaching skills, I started taking many of his courses, one of which was/is Elixir/Phoenix. Got intrigued and watched different Youtube videos on Elixir. Bought books, now reading/studying.

4 Likes

Iā€™ve been a hobbyist for a while, primarily using python & django. OO never really made all that much sense to me, and I saw some people over on Hacker News saying good things about functional programming and specifically Elixir/Phoenix - so I thought Iā€™d give it a go. I have been really enjoying it :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I was contacted by a recruiter after they saw I had listed Haskell as one of my interests in a LinkedIn profile.

I spent the next four-day-weekend learning the language with the help of Dave Thomasā€™ book and completing a coding exercise for the job.

After such a great opportunity fell into my lap, Iā€™ve been a little more appreciative of recruiters. Without them I wouldnā€™t have had the chance to use functional programming in my day job.

6 Likes

Came into functional programming via Haskell, loved it but it felt ā€œtoo pureā€. Looked for Web frameworks and found ChicagoBoss and Erlang, took a while but then I loved the Erlang syntax.

Had a short look into Elixir, but it had no dots and commas :grinning: (must have been around 2015)

2 years ago I heard about a Web framework called Phoenix, tried it and immediately fell in love with it and Elixir.

5 Likes

My background was mainly in the .NET world. I was a little bit tired about doing the same things always, so I asked some friends what technology/platform could I learn to avoid monotony. At that time I was thinking about Node, Python or something similar, but a friend told me that if he were me, he would learn Elixir because itā€™s something totally different. I didnā€™t know what the hell Elixir was, so I started to search for information and wow, I fell in love.

Now Iā€™m working with Elixir as my main job and I pretty happy.

5 Likes